Mar 8, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Dale Hunter is getting back to basics in Washington. In fact, if he gets any more basic, he’ll be teaching the Capitals how to lace up their skates.
As reported by CSNWashington.com, Hunter has been imploring his players to chip the puck in deep when the opponent stacks the blue line.
“We show them on tape,” Hunter said. “We call them turnovers at the blue line. You’ve got to give your skill guys some leeway. But they’ve got to make the right read. If they have four guys across the blue line, the odds are you’re not going to get through. You’re going to turn it over and you’re going to be chasing the other way. If you dump it, you’re chasing them, and they’re under the gun.”
Not sure if Hunter was dumbing it down for reporters when he said, “We call them turnovers at the blue line.” Hopefully he doesn’t have to talk like that in team meetings. We call that back-checking, Alex.
Of course, we all remember the Capitals (led by Alex Ovechkin) playing Red Rover with the Lightning’s 1-3-1 in the playoffs, so the “knock it off with the turnovers at the blue line” message needed to be sent.
But that’s a message that’s sent to pee-wee players, and we’re talking about the NHL here. It shouldn’t have to be sent twice to professionals.
Anyway, Washington hosts Tampa Bay tonight in a game Hunter is calling a “must win for both teams.”
PS – Do the Caps ever remind you of the time Homer and Marge had to take that parenting class?
Teacher: There are a lot of little tricks to it, things you should have learned a long time ago. Such as, if you leave milk out, it can go sour. Put it in the refrigerator, or, failing that, a cool wet sack.
And put your garbage in a garbage can, people. I can’t stress that enough. Don’t just throw it out the window.
Marge: This is so humiliating.
Homer: [writing furiously] “Garbage in garbage can”…hmm, makes sense.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)