Mar 8, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Dale Hunter is getting back to basics in Washington. In fact, if he gets any more basic, he’ll be teaching the Capitals how to lace up their skates.
As reported by CSNWashington.com, Hunter has been imploring his players to chip the puck in deep when the opponent stacks the blue line.
“We show them on tape,” Hunter said. “We call them turnovers at the blue line. You’ve got to give your skill guys some leeway. But they’ve got to make the right read. If they have four guys across the blue line, the odds are you’re not going to get through. You’re going to turn it over and you’re going to be chasing the other way. If you dump it, you’re chasing them, and they’re under the gun.”
Not sure if Hunter was dumbing it down for reporters when he said, “We call them turnovers at the blue line.” Hopefully he doesn’t have to talk like that in team meetings. We call that back-checking, Alex.
Of course, we all remember the Capitals (led by Alex Ovechkin) playing Red Rover with the Lightning’s 1-3-1 in the playoffs, so the “knock it off with the turnovers at the blue line” message needed to be sent.
But that’s a message that’s sent to pee-wee players, and we’re talking about the NHL here. It shouldn’t have to be sent twice to professionals.
Anyway, Washington hosts Tampa Bay tonight in a game Hunter is calling a “must win for both teams.”
PS – Do the Caps ever remind you of the time Homer and Marge had to take that parenting class?
Teacher: There are a lot of little tricks to it, things you should have learned a long time ago. Such as, if you leave milk out, it can go sour. Put it in the refrigerator, or, failing that, a cool wet sack.
And put your garbage in a garbage can, people. I can’t stress that enough. Don’t just throw it out the window.
Marge: This is so humiliating.
Homer: [writing furiously] “Garbage in garbage can”…hmm, makes sense.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)