Mar 8, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Dale Hunter is getting back to basics in Washington. In fact, if he gets any more basic, he’ll be teaching the Capitals how to lace up their skates.
As reported by CSNWashington.com, Hunter has been imploring his players to chip the puck in deep when the opponent stacks the blue line.
“We show them on tape,” Hunter said. “We call them turnovers at the blue line. You’ve got to give your skill guys some leeway. But they’ve got to make the right read. If they have four guys across the blue line, the odds are you’re not going to get through. You’re going to turn it over and you’re going to be chasing the other way. If you dump it, you’re chasing them, and they’re under the gun.”
Not sure if Hunter was dumbing it down for reporters when he said, “We call them turnovers at the blue line.” Hopefully he doesn’t have to talk like that in team meetings. We call that back-checking, Alex.
Of course, we all remember the Capitals (led by Alex Ovechkin) playing Red Rover with the Lightning’s 1-3-1 in the playoffs, so the “knock it off with the turnovers at the blue line” message needed to be sent.
But that’s a message that’s sent to pee-wee players, and we’re talking about the NHL here. It shouldn’t have to be sent twice to professionals.
Anyway, Washington hosts Tampa Bay tonight in a game Hunter is calling a “must win for both teams.”
PS – Do the Caps ever remind you of the time Homer and Marge had to take that parenting class?
Teacher: There are a lot of little tricks to it, things you should have learned a long time ago. Such as, if you leave milk out, it can go sour. Put it in the refrigerator, or, failing that, a cool wet sack.
And put your garbage in a garbage can, people. I can’t stress that enough. Don’t just throw it out the window.
Marge: This is so humiliating.
Homer: [writing furiously] “Garbage in garbage can”…hmm, makes sense.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)