Mar 9, 2012, 12:58 AM EDT
A surreal week got that much better for the Dallas Stars, whose fortunes look far brighter after a promising night of hockey for them – and the opposite for their divisional opponents.
Most directly, the Stars won against the San Jose Sharks for the first time this season by prevailing 4-3 via the shootout. It wasn’t easy and there were silver lining moments for San Jose, but the bottom line is that Dallas is strongly entrenched as the division leader.
(The Sharks’ pluses: they generated a charity point, Joe Thornton had three assists, Joe Pavelski scored a goal and Patrick Marleau responded to his pal Jeremy Roenick’s criticisms by finding the net.)
The Stars can delight in the fact that the other Pacific Division squads either stayed idle or took a step back too.
Following in the footsteps of the Phoenix Coyotes, the Los Angeles Kings dropped a regulation game to the lowly Columbus Blue Jackets. It’s probably not melodramatic to say that the Kings may very well remember that loss with significant regret.
Speaking of the Coyotes, Dave Tippett’s team dropped another should-be-victory; this time, it was against the Minnesota Wild. The only bright side is that they salvaged a point, losing 3-2 in a shootout.
Least importantly, the Anaheim Ducks also lost in regulation as the St. Louis Blues prevailed 3-1.
Want a view of the division now that the night is over? Check out the standings, with the teams’ current Western spots in parenthesis.
Dallas (3): 79 points with 14 games remaining
Phoenix (7): 76 points with 14 GR
San Jose (8): 75 points with 16 GR
Los Angeles (9): 74 points with 15 GR
Anaheim (12): 68 points with 14 GR
As you can see, just about every Pacific team seems to have a shot at the division title or at least a playoff spot, with the likely exception of the Ducks. The Stars have certainly distanced themselves with tonight’s action, but it’s still likely to be a photo finish – and a thriller in that.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 10
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 40
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 31
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 45
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 101
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 6
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (101)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)