Mar 8, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
Jeremy Roenick has been critical of Patrick Marleau before.
And yesterday JR was at it again, questioning the desire of his former San Jose teammate in a blog posting for NHL.com that touched on the struggling Sharks.
You’re not going to get any consistency out of Patrick Marleau because he can’t find it in him to get angry, mad, ticked off enough to help lead this team out of the doldrums.
Right now I’d be scared. I’d be mad. I’d be huffing like a raging bull right now. I’m not sure that Patrick Marleau can do that. I don’t know if he has it in him to bring this team into the playoffs. I’d like to see him get angry, show some passion.
Marleau is pointless (statistically speaking) in his last four games, a stretch that’s seen the Sharks score just four times and win just once. But clearly JR’s comments aren’t restricted to recent history.
Last May, Roenick was asked by the Mercury News if there was something personal between him and Marleau.
“This is totally on the record,” Roenick said. “I am not a Patrick Marleau fan. I’m not going to pretend to be. But I also will tell you that he is an incredible, incredible talent. I wish I had the talent he has. If I had the talent Patrick Marleau has, I wouldn’t even know what I could have done. But I have my opinion of his determination and effort level, especially with the amount of money that he makes. I respect people’s opinions, but I have one, too… This is not an act. This is me speaking my mind. Patrick Marleau has a lot of fans. I just happen to be not one of them.”
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)