Roenick on Marleau: “I don’t know if he has it in him”

Mar 8, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT

Patrick Marleau Getty Images

Jeremy Roenick has been critical of Patrick Marleau before.

Very critical.

And yesterday JR was at it again, questioning the desire of his former San Jose teammate in a blog posting for NHL.com that touched on the struggling Sharks.

You’re not going to get any consistency out of Patrick Marleau because he can’t find it in him to get angry, mad, ticked off enough to help lead this team out of the doldrums.

Right now I’d be scared. I’d be mad. I’d be huffing like a raging bull right now. I’m not sure that Patrick Marleau can do that. I don’t know if he has it in him to bring this team into the playoffs. I’d like to see him get angry, show some passion.

Marleau is pointless (statistically speaking) in his last four games, a stretch that’s seen the Sharks score just four times and win just once. But clearly JR’s comments aren’t restricted to recent history.

Last May, Roenick was asked by the Mercury News if there was something personal between him and Marleau.

“This is totally on the record,” Roenick said. “I am not a Patrick Marleau fan. I’m not going to pretend to be. But I also will tell you that he is an incredible, incredible talent. I wish I had the talent he has. If I had the talent Patrick Marleau has, I wouldn’t even know what I could have done. But I have my opinion of his determination and effort level, especially with the amount of money that he makes. I respect people’s opinions, but I have one, too… This is not an act. This is me speaking my mind. Patrick Marleau has a lot of fans. I just happen to be not one of them.”

1. sportsfreak13 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM

J.R. didn’t have it in him, the ability to win a cup that is.

2. kicksave1980 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I agree with everything JR said with the exception of the talent comparison. He’s being modest. Marleau doesn’t even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Roenick in terms of talent OR determination.

3. mydadyourmom - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Marleau is a pansy. Roenick is a douche. Milbury is the best.

4. geo91 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM

JR loves ripping Marleau because he doesn’t wear his heart on his sleeve but as much as I dislike Marleau, he does have gold that JR does not, so the guy has to have some fire in him.

5. haterzgonahate - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM

the last time Paddy Marleau got angry and showed some emotion, Bieksa used his face as a punching bag

6. pa9erfan - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM

jr is a blowhard.. he’s trying to make a name for himself at the expense of another professional hockey player.. that is 1000 times more gutless and heartless than the game that patty plays…

• lostpuppysyndrome - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Pretty sure JR made a name for himself long before he said any “blowhard” comments.

• danphipps01 - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Pretty sure guys with careers like Roenick had don’t need to make a name for themselves anymore, broseph. He just hates that Marleau doesn’t seem to care any more when his team’s about to fall out of the playoffs than when it’s on a winning streak. It’s a fair thing to be frustrated by. That kind of emotionlessness is just not acceptable from someone who’s supposed to be a go-to guy on his team.

7. pa9erfan - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:08 PM

yer right, he said plenty of stupid stuff when he was a player too…

8. cmutimmah - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM

JR wants to be the Warren Sapp of the NHL broadcasting teams…

But Marleau is soft and overpaid.

9. pa9erfan - Mar 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM

great players, yeah jr was pretty darn good, don’t necessarily make great announcers. especially 1-2 years out of retirement without some kind of schtick.. i do like that he is raising awareness to western conf. hockey, but he is doing it at the expense of another player… another pretty darn good player (check the stats, the one i like most is the youngest EVER to 1100 games played).

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. J. Harding (1292)
  2. N. Niederreiter (1110)
  3. P. Rinne (1107)