Mar 8, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
Danny Briere had a hat trick on Jan. 7 to lead the Philadelphia Flyers’ to a 3-2 victory over Ottawa. Since then, Briere hasn’t found the back of the net even once. Briere has now gone two months and 20 games without a single goal and he’s only recorded six assists in that span. That’s not counting the six straight contests he missed a little over a month ago because of a concussion. Overall, he has just 13 goals this season, compared to his 2010-11 career-high of 34.
This has been one of the worst slumps of his career. Briere was scoreless in 31 straight games over the course of the 1998-99 and 1999-2000 campaigns, but this is the first time he’s gone 20 consecutive contests without a goal in a single season.
The Philadelphia Flyers have been a mediocre 13-10-3 since Briere’s hat trick in Ottawa. Although Briere’s slump isn’t the only reason for the Flyers struggles over that span, with Jaromir Jagr and Jakub Voracek both questionable Thursday, this would be an ideal time for Briere to bounce back.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)