Mar 8, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
Danny Briere had a hat trick on Jan. 7 to lead the Philadelphia Flyers’ to a 3-2 victory over Ottawa. Since then, Briere hasn’t found the back of the net even once. Briere has now gone two months and 20 games without a single goal and he’s only recorded six assists in that span. That’s not counting the six straight contests he missed a little over a month ago because of a concussion. Overall, he has just 13 goals this season, compared to his 2010-11 career-high of 34.
This has been one of the worst slumps of his career. Briere was scoreless in 31 straight games over the course of the 1998-99 and 1999-2000 campaigns, but this is the first time he’s gone 20 consecutive contests without a goal in a single season.
The Philadelphia Flyers have been a mediocre 13-10-3 since Briere’s hat trick in Ottawa. Although Briere’s slump isn’t the only reason for the Flyers struggles over that span, with Jaromir Jagr and Jakub Voracek both questionable Thursday, this would be an ideal time for Briere to bounce back.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)