Mar 8, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
Danny Briere had a hat trick on Jan. 7 to lead the Philadelphia Flyers’ to a 3-2 victory over Ottawa. Since then, Briere hasn’t found the back of the net even once. Briere has now gone two months and 20 games without a single goal and he’s only recorded six assists in that span. That’s not counting the six straight contests he missed a little over a month ago because of a concussion. Overall, he has just 13 goals this season, compared to his 2010-11 career-high of 34.
This has been one of the worst slumps of his career. Briere was scoreless in 31 straight games over the course of the 1998-99 and 1999-2000 campaigns, but this is the first time he’s gone 20 consecutive contests without a goal in a single season.
The Philadelphia Flyers have been a mediocre 13-10-3 since Briere’s hat trick in Ottawa. Although Briere’s slump isn’t the only reason for the Flyers struggles over that span, with Jaromir Jagr and Jakub Voracek both questionable Thursday, this would be an ideal time for Briere to bounce back.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (85)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)