Mar 8, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
Danny Briere had a hat trick on Jan. 7 to lead the Philadelphia Flyers’ to a 3-2 victory over Ottawa. Since then, Briere hasn’t found the back of the net even once. Briere has now gone two months and 20 games without a single goal and he’s only recorded six assists in that span. That’s not counting the six straight contests he missed a little over a month ago because of a concussion. Overall, he has just 13 goals this season, compared to his 2010-11 career-high of 34.
This has been one of the worst slumps of his career. Briere was scoreless in 31 straight games over the course of the 1998-99 and 1999-2000 campaigns, but this is the first time he’s gone 20 consecutive contests without a goal in a single season.
The Philadelphia Flyers have been a mediocre 13-10-3 since Briere’s hat trick in Ottawa. Although Briere’s slump isn’t the only reason for the Flyers struggles over that span, with Jaromir Jagr and Jakub Voracek both questionable Thursday, this would be an ideal time for Briere to bounce back.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)