Mar 7, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
According to various reports, Toronto Maple Leafs winger Colby Armstrong is listed as day-to-day after breaking his nose in a 5-4 loss to Boston on Tuesday.
How exactly did he break his nose, you ask?
By using it to block Dennis Seidenberg‘s punches.
The fight came shortly after Armstrong nailed Seidenberg with what the German rearguard felt was a high hit. While there was no shortage of Bruins willing to take on Armstrong — Adam McQuaid was ready to throw down — Seidenberg figured it was time to do the business himself.
“McQuaid fights enough,” Seidenberg told CSN New England. “At one point I need to stand up for myself and that’s what happened. I got a pass from [Boychuk] or [McQuaid] and I dumped it in. I was kind of in a vulnerable position and he hit me. I felt like he didn’t have to go to the head.
“That was it.”
Armstrong left the game with blood coming from his nose, and didn’t return. According to HockeyFights.com, the scrap was just the sixth of Seidenberg’s nine-year career.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)