Mar 7, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
According to various reports, Toronto Maple Leafs winger Colby Armstrong is listed as day-to-day after breaking his nose in a 5-4 loss to Boston on Tuesday.
How exactly did he break his nose, you ask?
By using it to block Dennis Seidenberg‘s punches.
The fight came shortly after Armstrong nailed Seidenberg with what the German rearguard felt was a high hit. While there was no shortage of Bruins willing to take on Armstrong — Adam McQuaid was ready to throw down — Seidenberg figured it was time to do the business himself.
“McQuaid fights enough,” Seidenberg told CSN New England. “At one point I need to stand up for myself and that’s what happened. I got a pass from [Boychuk] or [McQuaid] and I dumped it in. I was kind of in a vulnerable position and he hit me. I felt like he didn’t have to go to the head.
“That was it.”
Armstrong left the game with blood coming from his nose, and didn’t return. According to HockeyFights.com, the scrap was just the sixth of Seidenberg’s nine-year career.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)