Mar 6, 2012, 11:46 AM EST
Jeff Skinner has been back from his concussion since mid-January but that doesn’t mean he’s been playing like his old self.
Skinner tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer that he’s just now starting to get back to how he was playing before he got viciously lit up by Edmonton’s Andy Sutton. Skinner says that being patient with concussion recovery is the best way to go about it, even though it’s hard.
“You come back and you’re anxious. You’re excited to be back and want to get back to where you left off,” Skinner, 19, said Monday. “Sometimes you end up forcing it. That can only hurt you.
“But sometimes it’s tough to kind of rein it back in and regroup and take it one step at a time and not rush things.”
Since coming back on January 15, Skinner has just five goals and six assists all while the Hurricanes sit 14th in the Eastern Conference destined for the draft lottery. In his last four games, however, Skinner has a goal and three assists. He’s starting to get his groove back now, but it’s hard.
That’s not to say that Skinner was wrong to come back after missing just over a month’s worth of action, with concussions you get back at it when you’re free of symptoms. Rejoining what’s turned out to be a pretty poor team, however, probably had more to do with Skinner’s lack of production than anything.
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 0
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)