Mar 6, 2012, 11:46 AM EST
Jeff Skinner has been back from his concussion since mid-January but that doesn’t mean he’s been playing like his old self.
Skinner tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer that he’s just now starting to get back to how he was playing before he got viciously lit up by Edmonton’s Andy Sutton. Skinner says that being patient with concussion recovery is the best way to go about it, even though it’s hard.
“You come back and you’re anxious. You’re excited to be back and want to get back to where you left off,” Skinner, 19, said Monday. “Sometimes you end up forcing it. That can only hurt you.
“But sometimes it’s tough to kind of rein it back in and regroup and take it one step at a time and not rush things.”
Since coming back on January 15, Skinner has just five goals and six assists all while the Hurricanes sit 14th in the Eastern Conference destined for the draft lottery. In his last four games, however, Skinner has a goal and three assists. He’s starting to get his groove back now, but it’s hard.
That’s not to say that Skinner was wrong to come back after missing just over a month’s worth of action, with concussions you get back at it when you’re free of symptoms. Rejoining what’s turned out to be a pretty poor team, however, probably had more to do with Skinner’s lack of production than anything.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)