Mar 6, 2012, 11:46 AM EDT
Jeff Skinner has been back from his concussion since mid-January but that doesn’t mean he’s been playing like his old self.
Skinner tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer that he’s just now starting to get back to how he was playing before he got viciously lit up by Edmonton’s Andy Sutton. Skinner says that being patient with concussion recovery is the best way to go about it, even though it’s hard.
“You come back and you’re anxious. You’re excited to be back and want to get back to where you left off,” Skinner, 19, said Monday. “Sometimes you end up forcing it. That can only hurt you.
“But sometimes it’s tough to kind of rein it back in and regroup and take it one step at a time and not rush things.”
Since coming back on January 15, Skinner has just five goals and six assists all while the Hurricanes sit 14th in the Eastern Conference destined for the draft lottery. In his last four games, however, Skinner has a goal and three assists. He’s starting to get his groove back now, but it’s hard.
That’s not to say that Skinner was wrong to come back after missing just over a month’s worth of action, with concussions you get back at it when you’re free of symptoms. Rejoining what’s turned out to be a pretty poor team, however, probably had more to do with Skinner’s lack of production than anything.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)