Dec 8, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT
The incident occurred in the third period of Edmonton’s 5-3 loss to the ‘Canes on Wednesday night; Sutton has the option of an in-person hearing with Shanahan to discuss the incident, according to NHL.com.
This is Sutton’s second suspension in 41 days (he got a five-gamer for a headshot on Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog back in late October) and fourth of his career — he was suspended four games for a headshot on Darcy Tucker and a two games for boarding Pascal Dupuis.
As such, we could be entering uncharted waters with the impending Shanaban. I don’t know if you can classify Sutton as a repeat offender anymore, because he’s sorta entered serial offender territory. Remember, this was the same guy that didn’t seem overly concerned about changing his game after the Landeskog hit.
“I’ll continue to play my style,” he told the National Post. “You have to play close to the opposing player and I’ll still play aggressively.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)