Dec 8, 2011, 5:12 PM EST
The incident occurred in the third period of Edmonton’s 5-3 loss to the ‘Canes on Wednesday night; Sutton has the option of an in-person hearing with Shanahan to discuss the incident, according to NHL.com.
This is Sutton’s second suspension in 41 days (he got a five-gamer for a headshot on Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog back in late October) and fourth of his career — he was suspended four games for a headshot on Darcy Tucker and a two games for boarding Pascal Dupuis.
As such, we could be entering uncharted waters with the impending Shanaban. I don’t know if you can classify Sutton as a repeat offender anymore, because he’s sorta entered serial offender territory. Remember, this was the same guy that didn’t seem overly concerned about changing his game after the Landeskog hit.
“I’ll continue to play my style,” he told the National Post. “You have to play close to the opposing player and I’ll still play aggressively.”
- Devils fire DeBoer 3
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 0
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 6
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)