Feb 28, 2012, 4:33 PM EST
Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer needs a better start tonight versus Florida than he provided Saturday when it took just 3:46 for the Capitals to score two goals, both of which were “stoppable” according to his coach.
In fact, Reimer needs to be better from now until the end of the season. And if Luke Schenn could knock it off with the horrendous giveaways, that would help, too.
Despite Toronto’s issues between the pipes, general manager Brian Burke didn’t acquire a netminder at the deadline. And even after Ron Wilson’s frank assessment following the Washington game, the coach is going with Reimer over Jonas Gustavsson against the Panthers.
“I’m going to try and get Reims going here. He’s knows his playing,” Wilson said this morning. “All these rumors over the last couple of weeks have shown that they were nothing but rumors so all of our team I think will get a weight off their shoulders and just start moving forward.”
Granted, we’re not sure if Wilson can call them “rumors” when it was Burke himself who said he’d be on the lookout for a goaltender.
At any rate, Toronto and Florida are among the teams battling for the final playoff spots in the Eastern Conference, but it’s the home side – with just one win in its last nine – that should be in desperation mode at the ACC. An outright loss combined with a Washington win over the Isles would put the Leafs four points back of a playoff spot, with time running out.
On the bright side, no more “millstone” around their necks.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)