Feb 28, 2012, 4:33 PM EST
Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer needs a better start tonight versus Florida than he provided Saturday when it took just 3:46 for the Capitals to score two goals, both of which were “stoppable” according to his coach.
In fact, Reimer needs to be better from now until the end of the season. And if Luke Schenn could knock it off with the horrendous giveaways, that would help, too.
Despite Toronto’s issues between the pipes, general manager Brian Burke didn’t acquire a netminder at the deadline. And even after Ron Wilson’s frank assessment following the Washington game, the coach is going with Reimer over Jonas Gustavsson against the Panthers.
“I’m going to try and get Reims going here. He’s knows his playing,” Wilson said this morning. “All these rumors over the last couple of weeks have shown that they were nothing but rumors so all of our team I think will get a weight off their shoulders and just start moving forward.”
Granted, we’re not sure if Wilson can call them “rumors” when it was Burke himself who said he’d be on the lookout for a goaltender.
At any rate, Toronto and Florida are among the teams battling for the final playoff spots in the Eastern Conference, but it’s the home side – with just one win in its last nine – that should be in desperation mode at the ACC. An outright loss combined with a Washington win over the Isles would put the Leafs four points back of a playoff spot, with time running out.
On the bright side, no more “millstone” around their necks.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 5
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 3
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46