Feb 28, 2012, 9:51 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers built their 5-3 win off of some blatant failures in each regard as Reimer allowed two goals in 2:21, including one thanks to an absolutely unconscionable whiff by Schenn. (At least Schenn didn’t nail Reimer with his stick when he angrily reacted to the goal, although some Maple Leafs fans might have cheered for it.)
That 2-0 lead was just the beginning of an agonizing loss for the Maple Leafs, who flopped profoundly enough to inspire a “Fire [Ron] Wilson” chant a day after GM Brian Burke gave his fledgling goalies the dreaded vote of non-trade confidence. Don’t feel too bad for Wilson, though; he has a shiny contract extension that means he’ll get some more money (firing or not) and coached his 1,400th game on Tuesday.
A symbolic defeat?
If the Maple Leafs miss the playoffs – and yes, they still have a chance, morbid Buds fans – people might look at this as a microcosm of the season. Times were bad, except for Phil Kessel‘s top line, as the American sniper scored goal No. 32.
(One thing that wasn’t typical, though: Nikolai Kulemin actually found the net.)
Wilson sad: a gallery of depression
To make some laughter lemonade out of this lemon of a performance, check out this gallery of unhappy Ron Wilson photos – which may or may not make Maple Leafs fans feel better.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)