Feb 28, 2012, 9:51 PM EST
The Florida Panthers built their 5-3 win off of some blatant failures in each regard as Reimer allowed two goals in 2:21, including one thanks to an absolutely unconscionable whiff by Schenn. (At least Schenn didn’t nail Reimer with his stick when he angrily reacted to the goal, although some Maple Leafs fans might have cheered for it.)
That 2-0 lead was just the beginning of an agonizing loss for the Maple Leafs, who flopped profoundly enough to inspire a “Fire [Ron] Wilson” chant a day after GM Brian Burke gave his fledgling goalies the dreaded vote of non-trade confidence. Don’t feel too bad for Wilson, though; he has a shiny contract extension that means he’ll get some more money (firing or not) and coached his 1,400th game on Tuesday.
A symbolic defeat?
If the Maple Leafs miss the playoffs – and yes, they still have a chance, morbid Buds fans – people might look at this as a microcosm of the season. Times were bad, except for Phil Kessel‘s top line, as the American sniper scored goal No. 32.
(One thing that wasn’t typical, though: Nikolai Kulemin actually found the net.)
Wilson sad: a gallery of depression
To make some laughter lemonade out of this lemon of a performance, check out this gallery of unhappy Ron Wilson photos – which may or may not make Maple Leafs fans feel better.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 3
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54