Hodgson was “shocked as anyone” after being traded

Feb 28, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Cody Hodgson

If Cody Hodgson asked to be traded by the Vancouver Canucks, he must be a good actor.

“I was as shocked as anyone,” Hodgson told The Province yesterday after learning he’d been dealt to Buffalo for F Zack Kassian and D Marc-Andre Gragnani. “I didn’t see it coming. I really like the city and the fans and the guys are great. But I understand it’s a business and I’m moving on to a new opportunity.”

Canucks general manager Mike Gillis only added to the speculation that the 10th overall pick in 2008, or maybe his agent, had requested a move that would allow the talented 22-year-old center to play in a top-six role.

“That’s an internal thing I’m not going to comment about,” Gillis said.

He added: “Things that happen behind closed doors in our offices are not for public consumption. I’m not going to discuss it.”

Maybe Gillis didn’t mean to sound evasive, but that’s how he came off. Why wasn’t he willing to comment? Nobody would’ve blinked if he’d denied Hodgson had asked to be traded. Maybe a year ago there’d have been some blinking, but not during Hodgson’s breakout season, and not after a trade that made hockey sense. Kassian is a highly touted prospect that gives the Canucks size and toughness up front. Besides, who gets their trade request granted at the deadline when they play for a Cup contender? A player would have to be quite the distraction for that to happen.

Anyway, the trade is done – why it happened shouldn’t affect the Canucks on the ice. But sports is like a soap opera, and fans are always curious about what’s happening behind the scenes.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM

As a previous poster noted, if he asked to be traded then he should’ve won the Oscar for his performance on TSN. He sounded about as shocked and disappointed as a guy can be.

2. t16rich - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I am really going to miss Cody. 2 players I didnt want to be traded at the deadline was Cody and Cory, but the players the Canucks got back have alot of promise for the lineup. Still wish it was Raymond. Cody definatly seemed shock by the TSN interview I saw. Good luck to Cody, I selfishly hope you end up back in a Vancouver jersey one day. Can’t wait for Saturday. Cody returns to Vancouver on Hockey Night In Canada.

3. cableguymike - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Perhaps he did ask for a trade but wasn’t expecting to have it happen at the trade deadline. Maybe he thought it would be an offseason thing. Who knows. If he hadn’t asked or at least indicated he wanted a trade then I don’t see why Gillis wouldn’t have just come out and say that he didn’t. Either way, love CoHo and wish him the best in Buffalo. Looking forward to see him become their future captain.

4. ikillchicken - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I gotta be honest here Jason. It kinda annoys me a bit how you post an article yesterday speculating that he may have asked for a trade and it’s pretty much one sided only giving reasons to support your claim. Then you turn around today and post another article explaining all the reasons (that were just as apparent yesterday) why him asking for a trade actually makes no sense. It feels more than a little like you’re trying to stir up controversy where none exists or at least that’s how it comes across.

• Jason Brough - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Yesterday’s post wasn’t a “claim” — I was simply explaining why people were wondering if Hodgson asked to be traded.
      As for today’s post, I don’t see how it flies in the face of yesterday’s post. It remains as curious today as it was yesterday why Gillis commented the way he did.

5. soupy19 - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

What if he did ask to be traded? What if the relationship was so soured over his apparent mishandling of his back injury? What if his relationship was so soured with AV? And those are the only potential issues we know about.

Mike Gillis has worked extremely hard to build a brand and create an enviornment that makes his organization a desired place to play. I imagine Gillis would do anything to protect that brand he has created. And what would hurt that brand that he has worked so hard to build? A player demanding a trade. A player who doesn’t want to play for his organization. You all see what kind of distraction a trade demand can make (see Kyle Turris). I wouldn’t at all be suprised that Mike Gillis told CoHo’s camp “I’ll trade him on the condition he expresses how much he liked playing in Vancouver and how he’s sad to go. And make it believable”.

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here. But Mike Gillis is no dummy. I think it’s foolish to think we really know what happens behind closed doors.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive