Feb 27, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
Boring trade deadline, you say? Wrong. The Canucks and Sabres pulled off a big deal right at the buzzer – forward Cody Hodgson and defenseman Alexander Sulzer go to Buffalo in return for forward Zach Kassian and defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani.
Hodgson, 22, is a talented center that’s in the midst of a breakout season with the Canucks (16G, 17A.) He can put the puck in the net and he can make plays. However, with Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler locking down the top two center spots, it was tough to find him the kind of quality ice time he needs.
Kassian, 21, is a big, tough power forward, i.e. the kind of player the Canucks have been looking for. He’s not the player Hodgson is today, and Canucks GM Mike Gillis is taking a big risk in that regard.
Gragnani, a 24-year-old offensive defenseman, should fit in well on a Vancouver team that uses its back end to create offense. He could be the wildcard in this deal.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)