Feb 27, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
Boring trade deadline, you say? Wrong. The Canucks and Sabres pulled off a big deal right at the buzzer – forward Cody Hodgson and defenseman Alexander Sulzer go to Buffalo in return for forward Zach Kassian and defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani.
Hodgson, 22, is a talented center that’s in the midst of a breakout season with the Canucks (16G, 17A.) He can put the puck in the net and he can make plays. However, with Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler locking down the top two center spots, it was tough to find him the kind of quality ice time he needs.
Kassian, 21, is a big, tough power forward, i.e. the kind of player the Canucks have been looking for. He’s not the player Hodgson is today, and Canucks GM Mike Gillis is taking a big risk in that regard.
Gragnani, a 24-year-old offensive defenseman, should fit in well on a Vancouver team that uses its back end to create offense. He could be the wildcard in this deal.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 38
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 99
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (99)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)