Feb 27, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks made two trades of a small magnitude this afternoon, with one involving the Toronto Maple Leafs and another swap with those aforementioned Canucks. Let’s look at them in helpful list form:
Mark Fraser (trade report) via the Ducks for Mitchell.
Andrew Gordon (trade report) via the Ducks for Erixon.
Essentially, the Maple Leafs and Canucks get two tweeners for their contending runs. (By “tweeners” I mean semi-adequate players who might bounce between the NHL and the minors.) Those two might be described as “players you’re glad you have but hope not to see” by pessimists.
Erixon is a 22-year-old Swedish defenseman who didn’t go drafted. The Maple Leafs drafted Mitchell in the third round in 2007 but he hasn’t cracked the team’s pro-level lineup. In other words, if the Ducks see much from them, it probably won’t be any time soon.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 24
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 23
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)