Feb 27, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
Gaustad, a pending UFA, has seven goals and 10 assists in 56 games. The big 30-year-old center should fit in nicely with a team that’s already one of the toughest to play against.
The Predators also got a fourth-round pick in the deal; however, they had to send a valuable first-round pick to the Sabres to get it done.
Nashville acquired defenseman Hal Gill last week, and combined with today’s deals, it’s clear GM David Poile is trying to send a message to Ryan Suter and Shea Weber that the organization is committed to winning. Suter is a pending UFA, and if he leaves, Weber is more likely to leave the following summer.
Now all the Preds have to do is make a deep run in the playoffs.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 8
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 8
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 49
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (49)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)