Feb 27, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
Gaustad, a pending UFA, has seven goals and 10 assists in 56 games. The big 30-year-old center should fit in nicely with a team that’s already one of the toughest to play against.
The Predators also got a fourth-round pick in the deal; however, they had to send a valuable first-round pick to the Sabres to get it done.
Nashville acquired defenseman Hal Gill last week, and combined with today’s deals, it’s clear GM David Poile is trying to send a message to Ryan Suter and Shea Weber that the organization is committed to winning. Suter is a pending UFA, and if he leaves, Weber is more likely to leave the following summer.
Now all the Preds have to do is make a deep run in the playoffs.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18