Feb 27, 2012, 10:46 AM EST
The Predators continue to be a major player at the trade deadline.
Nashville made its second deal in as many weeks today, acquiring RW Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal in exchange for a 2nd-round pick in 2013, along with the 5th-round (conditional) pick acquired in the Hal Gill trade.
Kostitsyn has 12G-12A-24PTS in 53 games this year, playing just over 15 minutes a night for the Habs.
– The move reunites Andrei with his brother Sergei, Nashville’s third-leading goalscorer this year (15). The two spent three years together in Montrea until Sergei was sent to the Predators in 2010 for Dan Ellis and Dustin Boyd.
– One of the Kostitsyn brothers’ most memorable moments in Montreal was when they were allegedly tied to a member of an organized crime group. Good times!
– Preds GM David Poile must have Habs GM Pierre Gauthier in his My 5 (or related cell phone promotion) as he’s now acquired two Canadiens in the span of 10 days. First Gill, then Kostitsyn.
– Andrei is in the final year of a deal that pays $3.25 million annually. He’ll be a UFA this summer, as will his Sergei (final year of his $2.5 million deal.)
– It’s unclear if the Kostitsyns will play on a line together in Nashville. Andrei’s a RW and Sergei’s a LW, but Sergei has been on a line with Mike Fisher and Martin Erat recently and they’ve been tearing it up, combining for 12 points over the last five games.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 27
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)