Feb 27, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
The Predators continue to be a major player at the trade deadline.
Nashville made its second deal in as many weeks today, acquiring RW Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal in exchange for a 2nd-round pick in 2013, along with the 5th-round (conditional) pick acquired in the Hal Gill trade.
Kostitsyn has 12G-12A-24PTS in 53 games this year, playing just over 15 minutes a night for the Habs.
– The move reunites Andrei with his brother Sergei, Nashville’s third-leading goalscorer this year (15). The two spent three years together in Montrea until Sergei was sent to the Predators in 2010 for Dan Ellis and Dustin Boyd.
– One of the Kostitsyn brothers’ most memorable moments in Montreal was when they were allegedly tied to a member of an organized crime group. Good times!
– Preds GM David Poile must have Habs GM Pierre Gauthier in his My 5 (or related cell phone promotion) as he’s now acquired two Canadiens in the span of 10 days. First Gill, then Kostitsyn.
– Andrei is in the final year of a deal that pays $3.25 million annually. He’ll be a UFA this summer, as will his Sergei (final year of his $2.5 million deal.)
– It’s unclear if the Kostitsyns will play on a line together in Nashville. Andrei’s a RW and Sergei’s a LW, but Sergei has been on a line with Mike Fisher and Martin Erat recently and they’ve been tearing it up, combining for 12 points over the last five games.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)