Feb 27, 2012, 10:46 AM EST
The Predators continue to be a major player at the trade deadline.
Nashville made its second deal in as many weeks today, acquiring RW Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal in exchange for a 2nd-round pick in 2013, along with the 5th-round (conditional) pick acquired in the Hal Gill trade.
Kostitsyn has 12G-12A-24PTS in 53 games this year, playing just over 15 minutes a night for the Habs.
– The move reunites Andrei with his brother Sergei, Nashville’s third-leading goalscorer this year (15). The two spent three years together in Montrea until Sergei was sent to the Predators in 2010 for Dan Ellis and Dustin Boyd.
– One of the Kostitsyn brothers’ most memorable moments in Montreal was when they were allegedly tied to a member of an organized crime group. Good times!
– Preds GM David Poile must have Habs GM Pierre Gauthier in his My 5 (or related cell phone promotion) as he’s now acquired two Canadiens in the span of 10 days. First Gill, then Kostitsyn.
– Andrei is in the final year of a deal that pays $3.25 million annually. He’ll be a UFA this summer, as will his Sergei (final year of his $2.5 million deal.)
– It’s unclear if the Kostitsyns will play on a line together in Nashville. Andrei’s a RW and Sergei’s a LW, but Sergei has been on a line with Mike Fisher and Martin Erat recently and they’ve been tearing it up, combining for 12 points over the last five games.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)