Feb 27, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
The Predators continue to be a major player at the trade deadline.
Nashville made its second deal in as many weeks today, acquiring RW Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal in exchange for a 2nd-round pick in 2013, along with the 5th-round (conditional) pick acquired in the Hal Gill trade.
Kostitsyn has 12G-12A-24PTS in 53 games this year, playing just over 15 minutes a night for the Habs.
– The move reunites Andrei with his brother Sergei, Nashville’s third-leading goalscorer this year (15). The two spent three years together in Montrea until Sergei was sent to the Predators in 2010 for Dan Ellis and Dustin Boyd.
– One of the Kostitsyn brothers’ most memorable moments in Montreal was when they were allegedly tied to a member of an organized crime group. Good times!
– Preds GM David Poile must have Habs GM Pierre Gauthier in his My 5 (or related cell phone promotion) as he’s now acquired two Canadiens in the span of 10 days. First Gill, then Kostitsyn.
– Andrei is in the final year of a deal that pays $3.25 million annually. He’ll be a UFA this summer, as will his Sergei (final year of his $2.5 million deal.)
– It’s unclear if the Kostitsyns will play on a line together in Nashville. Andrei’s a RW and Sergei’s a LW, but Sergei has been on a line with Mike Fisher and Martin Erat recently and they’ve been tearing it up, combining for 12 points over the last five games.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22