Feb 27, 2012, 10:46 AM EST
The Predators continue to be a major player at the trade deadline.
Nashville made its second deal in as many weeks today, acquiring RW Andrei Kostitsyn from Montreal in exchange for a 2nd-round pick in 2013, along with the 5th-round (conditional) pick acquired in the Hal Gill trade.
Kostitsyn has 12G-12A-24PTS in 53 games this year, playing just over 15 minutes a night for the Habs.
— The move reunites Andrei with his brother Sergei, Nashville’s third-leading goalscorer this year (15). The two spent three years together in Montrea until Sergei was sent to the Predators in 2010 for Dan Ellis and Dustin Boyd.
— One of the Kostitsyn brothers’ most memorable moments in Montreal was when they were allegedly tied to a member of an organized crime group. Good times!
— Preds GM David Poile must have Habs GM Pierre Gauthier in his My 5 (or related cell phone promotion) as he’s now acquired two Canadiens in the span of 10 days. First Gill, then Kostitsyn.
— Andrei is in the final year of a deal that pays $3.25 million annually. He’ll be a UFA this summer, as will his Sergei (final year of his $2.5 million deal.)
— It’s unclear if the Kostitsyns will play on a line together in Nashville. Andrei’s a RW and Sergei’s a LW, but Sergei has been on a line with Mike Fisher and Martin Erat recently and they’ve been tearing it up, combining for 12 points over the last five games.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)