Feb 26, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
We’ve been hearing all about how the Maple Leafs, Rangers, and Sharks are all hot after Blue Jackets trade bait Rick Nash. What if there was a team sneaking up on the outside to land him?
Enter the Nashville Predators.
David Boclair of The City Paper in Nashville says that sources have told him that the Predators have made an offer to Columbus for Nash.
The Predators have made an offer of their own for the 27-year-old power forward, multiple sources have confirmed. While it seems unlikely the Blue Jackets would want to deal their best player to a division opponent that regularly whips up on them, the attempt to get Nash speaks to Poile’s attempts to satisfy his top players’ desire for more elite talent and to strengthen the team’s chances to make a significant playoff run.
Based on other rumors for Nash, a young defenseman seems to be a must-have for the Jackets, but whether or not Preds GM David Poile would pony up someone like Ellis as part of an offer is up for debate. There’s also the fact that Nashville might not be on Nash’s list of teams he’d OK a deal to but let’s put that aside for now.
Of course, none of this is taking into thought the effect landing Nash would have on the Predators’ salary cap situation. The Preds still have to get deals worked out with Ryan Suter and Shea Weber and Nash’s $7.8 million cap hit would make things really awkward at the negotiating table with both defensemen.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)