Feb 26, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
We’ve been hearing all about how the Maple Leafs, Rangers, and Sharks are all hot after Blue Jackets trade bait Rick Nash. What if there was a team sneaking up on the outside to land him?
Enter the Nashville Predators.
David Boclair of The City Paper in Nashville says that sources have told him that the Predators have made an offer to Columbus for Nash.
The Predators have made an offer of their own for the 27-year-old power forward, multiple sources have confirmed. While it seems unlikely the Blue Jackets would want to deal their best player to a division opponent that regularly whips up on them, the attempt to get Nash speaks to Poile’s attempts to satisfy his top players’ desire for more elite talent and to strengthen the team’s chances to make a significant playoff run.
Based on other rumors for Nash, a young defenseman seems to be a must-have for the Jackets, but whether or not Preds GM David Poile would pony up someone like Ellis as part of an offer is up for debate. There’s also the fact that Nashville might not be on Nash’s list of teams he’d OK a deal to but let’s put that aside for now.
Of course, none of this is taking into thought the effect landing Nash would have on the Predators’ salary cap situation. The Preds still have to get deals worked out with Ryan Suter and Shea Weber and Nash’s $7.8 million cap hit would make things really awkward at the negotiating table with both defensemen.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)