Feb 25, 2012, 12:18 PM EST
Mark Spector of Sportsnet in Canada tweets that talks between the Rangers and Blue Jackets have picked up and that the latest offer is indeed a whopper.
For the Rangers to land Nash, they’d be giving up one of a pair of young defensemen in either Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto as well as a first-round pick and a prospect, namely defenseman Tim Erixon. Spector says that the Rangers feel that offer bests what the Toronto Maple Leafs could offer Columbus and puts them in the driver’s seat to land Nash.
Considering how well both McDonagh and Del Zotto have played this season for New York, the Jackets would be getting an instant young stud on the blue line. Adding Erixon would give them a potential future star as well. The first round pick makes for a nice throw in given that it’ll be a mid-to-late round pick.
The talk of late from The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline is that Nash’s camp is hoping for a quick resolution to things and they’re growing weary of the process. It doesn’t appear the two sides are long for each other. The Jackets aren’t under pressure to get a deal done at the deadline, but it could turn the summer into an endless array of discussions to land Nash if a deal isn’t done by Monday at 3 p.m.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)