Feb 25, 2012, 12:18 PM EST
Mark Spector of Sportsnet in Canada tweets that talks between the Rangers and Blue Jackets have picked up and that the latest offer is indeed a whopper.
For the Rangers to land Nash, they’d be giving up one of a pair of young defensemen in either Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto as well as a first-round pick and a prospect, namely defenseman Tim Erixon. Spector says that the Rangers feel that offer bests what the Toronto Maple Leafs could offer Columbus and puts them in the driver’s seat to land Nash.
Considering how well both McDonagh and Del Zotto have played this season for New York, the Jackets would be getting an instant young stud on the blue line. Adding Erixon would give them a potential future star as well. The first round pick makes for a nice throw in given that it’ll be a mid-to-late round pick.
The talk of late from The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline is that Nash’s camp is hoping for a quick resolution to things and they’re growing weary of the process. It doesn’t appear the two sides are long for each other. The Jackets aren’t under pressure to get a deal done at the deadline, but it could turn the summer into an endless array of discussions to land Nash if a deal isn’t done by Monday at 3 p.m.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 22
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 67
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (67)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)