Feb 25, 2012, 12:18 PM EDT
Mark Spector of Sportsnet in Canada tweets that talks between the Rangers and Blue Jackets have picked up and that the latest offer is indeed a whopper.
For the Rangers to land Nash, they’d be giving up one of a pair of young defensemen in either Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto as well as a first-round pick and a prospect, namely defenseman Tim Erixon. Spector says that the Rangers feel that offer bests what the Toronto Maple Leafs could offer Columbus and puts them in the driver’s seat to land Nash.
Considering how well both McDonagh and Del Zotto have played this season for New York, the Jackets would be getting an instant young stud on the blue line. Adding Erixon would give them a potential future star as well. The first round pick makes for a nice throw in given that it’ll be a mid-to-late round pick.
The talk of late from The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline is that Nash’s camp is hoping for a quick resolution to things and they’re growing weary of the process. It doesn’t appear the two sides are long for each other. The Jackets aren’t under pressure to get a deal done at the deadline, but it could turn the summer into an endless array of discussions to land Nash if a deal isn’t done by Monday at 3 p.m.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)