Feb 17, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
Following the Detroit Red Wings’ record-breaking night on Tuesday, PHT asked readers a simple question: when will the historic home winning streak end? The Nashville Predators are aiming to do just that tonight, although Detroit currently has a 1-0 lead at the end of the first period.
The poll includes all 14 remaining home games and one brazen option: that they’ll run the table and win every contest. Here are the five most popular responses:
Almost a quarter of readers tabbed the Feb. 23 game against the Vancouver Canucks as the one that will do it, although it was a four-horse race. Interestingly enough, about 63 percent of voters believe that the streak will end within the next three contests – which all provide significant challenges.
The other interesting result is that almost 20 percent of the votes went to Detroit running the table. Is that a sign that Red Wings fans turned out in droves or perhaps that the team simply is that tough at home?
It’ll be interesting to see when – or if – that streak ends this season. In case you’re wondering, the Red Wings face the Florida Panthers on April Fool’s Day, so that would be possibly the goofiest way to end it …
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 3
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 8
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 5
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2