Feb 14, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
For the most part, retired athletes tend to be pretty civil when an active player eclipses their records. The friendliest ones might even travel to see it happen, while others at least go through the motions.
Of course, there’s also the arguably-more-honest-reactions, like those old Miami Dolphins cracking open champagne bottles once the last undefeated NFL team finally loses so their perfect season won’t be matched.
With that reaction in mind, the Red Wings might want to fatten that streak of 21 home games so they don’t have to go through that awkward process.
(The motivation increases when people poke holes in their streak, including Mike Milbury. Milbury believes that the 1929-30 Boston Bruins really won 22 games in a row because of scheduling issues that actually forced two should-be road games to Boston.)
The Red Wings will play four of five and six of their next eight games at home, so they can cast aside doubters in little time. Here’s a list of their remaining home games:
Feb. 17: Nashville
Feb. 19: San Jose
Feb. 23: Vancouver
Feb. 25: Colorado
March 2: Minnesota
March 4: Chicago
March 9: Los Angeles
March 19: Washington
March 24: Carolina
March 26: Columbus
March 30: Nashville
April 1: Florida
April 5: New Jersey
April 7: Chicago
The next three games all have a strong chance to end the streak and there’s plenty of landmines in those 14 remaining regular season home contests. I cannot help but ask, then: when do you think the Red Wings’ run at Joe Louis Arena will come to an end?
(Note: Detroit’s overall home record is 24-2-1* this season, in case you were wondering.)
* – The Red Wings’ two home regulation losses came against San Jose (4-2 on Oct. 28) and Calgary (4-1 on Nov. 3) while their lone shootout loss came to the Minnesota Wild on Nov. 1. In other words, they were beatable at Joe Louis Arena for one three-game span this season.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)