Feb 14, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
For the most part, retired athletes tend to be pretty civil when an active player eclipses their records. The friendliest ones might even travel to see it happen, while others at least go through the motions.
Of course, there’s also the arguably-more-honest-reactions, like those old Miami Dolphins cracking open champagne bottles once the last undefeated NFL team finally loses so their perfect season won’t be matched.
With that reaction in mind, the Red Wings might want to fatten that streak of 21 home games so they don’t have to go through that awkward process.
(The motivation increases when people poke holes in their streak, including Mike Milbury. Milbury believes that the 1929-30 Boston Bruins really won 22 games in a row because of scheduling issues that actually forced two should-be road games to Boston.)
The Red Wings will play four of five and six of their next eight games at home, so they can cast aside doubters in little time. Here’s a list of their remaining home games:
Feb. 17: Nashville
Feb. 19: San Jose
Feb. 23: Vancouver
Feb. 25: Colorado
March 2: Minnesota
March 4: Chicago
March 9: Los Angeles
March 19: Washington
March 24: Carolina
March 26: Columbus
March 30: Nashville
April 1: Florida
April 5: New Jersey
April 7: Chicago
The next three games all have a strong chance to end the streak and there’s plenty of landmines in those 14 remaining regular season home contests. I cannot help but ask, then: when do you think the Red Wings’ run at Joe Louis Arena will come to an end?
(Note: Detroit’s overall home record is 24-2-1* this season, in case you were wondering.)
* – The Red Wings’ two home regulation losses came against San Jose (4-2 on Oct. 28) and Calgary (4-1 on Nov. 3) while their lone shootout loss came to the Minnesota Wild on Nov. 1. In other words, they were beatable at Joe Louis Arena for one three-game span this season.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)