Feb 17, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins suffered another big loss up front on Friday, announcing that forward Rich Peverley will be out 4-6 weeks after suffering a third degree MCL sprain.
The injury occurred during Wednesday’s 4-3 shootout victory over Montreal. Habs defenseman Hal Gill caught Peverley with a knee, forcing him from the contest:
The loss hurts Boston on two fronts. One, Perverley was a top setup man for the Bruins, second in assists (29) to only Patrice Bergeron. Two, it takes another solid offensive contributor from the forward group — Nathan Horton, tied for fourth on the team with 17 goals, has been out since Jan. 21 with a concussion and doesn’t appear to be coming back anytime soon.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said he expects Horton to be back at some point, though his words were hardly convincing.
“I expect [Horton] to be back. He’s progressing. I would think he’d be back,”he told CSNNE.com. “In the back of my head it’s that he may be something that we have to replace. But I would expect him to be back. But we do look at players and say ‘Hey, maybe this player could add to our depth, or maybe he’d have to play a certain spot too’ like Horton’s spot.”
Now Chiarelli might be looking at players for Peverley’s spot as well.
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 15
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 57
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles