Feb 17, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins suffered another big loss up front on Friday, announcing that forward Rich Peverley will be out 4-6 weeks after suffering a third degree MCL sprain.
The injury occurred during Wednesday’s 4-3 shootout victory over Montreal. Habs defenseman Hal Gill caught Peverley with a knee, forcing him from the contest:
The loss hurts Boston on two fronts. One, Perverley was a top setup man for the Bruins, second in assists (29) to only Patrice Bergeron. Two, it takes another solid offensive contributor from the forward group — Nathan Horton, tied for fourth on the team with 17 goals, has been out since Jan. 21 with a concussion and doesn’t appear to be coming back anytime soon.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said he expects Horton to be back at some point, though his words were hardly convincing.
“I expect [Horton] to be back. He’s progressing. I would think he’d be back,”he told CSNNE.com. “In the back of my head it’s that he may be something that we have to replace. But I would expect him to be back. But we do look at players and say ‘Hey, maybe this player could add to our depth, or maybe he’d have to play a certain spot too’ like Horton’s spot.”
Now Chiarelli might be looking at players for Peverley’s spot as well.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)