Feb 17, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins suffered another big loss up front on Friday, announcing that forward Rich Peverley will be out 4-6 weeks after suffering a third degree MCL sprain.
The injury occurred during Wednesday’s 4-3 shootout victory over Montreal. Habs defenseman Hal Gill caught Peverley with a knee, forcing him from the contest:
The loss hurts Boston on two fronts. One, Perverley was a top setup man for the Bruins, second in assists (29) to only Patrice Bergeron. Two, it takes another solid offensive contributor from the forward group — Nathan Horton, tied for fourth on the team with 17 goals, has been out since Jan. 21 with a concussion and doesn’t appear to be coming back anytime soon.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said he expects Horton to be back at some point, though his words were hardly convincing.
“I expect [Horton] to be back. He’s progressing. I would think he’d be back,”he told CSNNE.com. “In the back of my head it’s that he may be something that we have to replace. But I would expect him to be back. But we do look at players and say ‘Hey, maybe this player could add to our depth, or maybe he’d have to play a certain spot too’ like Horton’s spot.”
Now Chiarelli might be looking at players for Peverley’s spot as well.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)