Feb 17, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
The Boston Bruins suffered another big loss up front on Friday, announcing that forward Rich Peverley will be out 4-6 weeks after suffering a third degree MCL sprain.
The injury occurred during Wednesday’s 4-3 shootout victory over Montreal. Habs defenseman Hal Gill caught Peverley with a knee, forcing him from the contest:
The loss hurts Boston on two fronts. One, Perverley was a top setup man for the Bruins, second in assists (29) to only Patrice Bergeron. Two, it takes another solid offensive contributor from the forward group — Nathan Horton, tied for fourth on the team with 17 goals, has been out since Jan. 21 with a concussion and doesn’t appear to be coming back anytime soon.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said he expects Horton to be back at some point, though his words were hardly convincing.
“I expect [Horton] to be back. He’s progressing. I would think he’d be back,”he told CSNNE.com. “In the back of my head it’s that he may be something that we have to replace. But I would expect him to be back. But we do look at players and say ‘Hey, maybe this player could add to our depth, or maybe he’d have to play a certain spot too’ like Horton’s spot.”
Now Chiarelli might be looking at players for Peverley’s spot as well.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)