Feb 17, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
The Boston Bruins suffered another big loss up front on Friday, announcing that forward Rich Peverley will be out 4-6 weeks after suffering a third degree MCL sprain.
The injury occurred during Wednesday’s 4-3 shootout victory over Montreal. Habs defenseman Hal Gill caught Peverley with a knee, forcing him from the contest:
The loss hurts Boston on two fronts. One, Perverley was a top setup man for the Bruins, second in assists (29) to only Patrice Bergeron. Two, it takes another solid offensive contributor from the forward group — Nathan Horton, tied for fourth on the team with 17 goals, has been out since Jan. 21 with a concussion and doesn’t appear to be coming back anytime soon.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said he expects Horton to be back at some point, though his words were hardly convincing.
“I expect [Horton] to be back. He’s progressing. I would think he’d be back,”he told CSNNE.com. “In the back of my head it’s that he may be something that we have to replace. But I would expect him to be back. But we do look at players and say ‘Hey, maybe this player could add to our depth, or maybe he’d have to play a certain spot too’ like Horton’s spot.”
Now Chiarelli might be looking at players for Peverley’s spot as well.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)