Feb 15, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli says he expects winger Nathan Horton (concussion) to be back.
He sure doesn’t sound convinced though.
“I expect [Horton] to be back. He’s progressing. I would think he’d be back,” said Chiarelli, as per CSNNE.com. “In the back of my head it’s that he may be something that we have to replace. But I would expect him to be back. But we do look at players and say ‘Hey, maybe this player could add to our depth, or maybe he’d have to play a certain spot too’ like Horton’s spot.”
Horton (17G, 15A) has missed the last eight games, a stretch that’s seen the B’s go 3-5-0 and get blanked three times. His absence isn’t the only explanation for the team’s mini-slump, but it hasn’t helped.
Acquiring a player who could step in for Horton, if necessary, won’t be easy for Chiarelli.
Oilers winger Ales Hemsky could provide some offense, and the pending UFA is likely to be dealt prior to the Feb. 27 trade deadline. But Edmonton GM Steve Tambellini will have plenty of suitors given the dearth of available players. Not to mention, Hemsky is no Horton when it comes to size and strength.
Washington’s Mike Knuble is another, bigger option – a healthy scratch the past few games, the 39-year-old might have lost a step, as evidenced by his three goals in 53 games. However, he’s only one season removed from scoring 24. A fresh start with a contender could be energizing.
Or maybe the B’s will just get Rick Nash.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)