Zac Rinaldo to meet with Shanahan over hit on Ericsson

Feb 13, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT

If nothing else, Zac Rinaldo has found a way to make an impression around the league with his feisty, physical play. During last night’s Flyers loss to Detroit, however, he managed to catch the eye of the NHL with his charge on Jonathan Ericsson.

Brendan Shanahan will be meeting with Rinaldo today to discuss his hit on Ericsson that put Ericsson down on the ice and earned Rinaldo a two-minute minor for charging.

Rinaldo was fined just last week for two separate incidents in a game so heading into his hearing today he’s got a very recent prior record of offenses. That’s not going to help him when it comes to possibly avoiding a suspension.

For what it’s worth, Rinaldo has not been suspended in the NHL but has seen his fair share of time off in the AHL.

What do you think though? Check out the hit and judge for yourself.

1. jkay1818 - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I have to say, and this coming from a die hard rangers fan. This guy is a piece of trash and week after week he pulls something new. I also don’t care for him running his mouth and refusing to drop the gloves a lot. If you want to be an enforcer, throw down a little bit. BUT, this is what shannahan is calling him about? the guy slew foots people, slashes etc. Like I said, coming from a Rangers fan, I really dont think this hit was that bad at all. I was expecting a blatant shot to the head or taking a huge jump at him. He left his feet, yeah, but a lot of that was momentum from the hit. I have seen him do a lot worse. Seems like he is getting the call now based on his blatantly dirty and obvious things he has done on the ice over the past few weeks.

• spiffy53 - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM

he is a lot like sean avery. i wonder if you said the same things when avery was a ranger?

• jkay1818 - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM

i actually never cared for sean avery. I never understood the love fest with rangers fans and him. He is a good skater, passer who can never put it together. He is also a turnover machine.
        avery at least dropped the gloves more times than not.

• spiffy53 - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

FYI – Zach Rinaldo fights this season = 14
        Sean Avery most fights in any season = 14

*note-season is not over for zach rinaldo. probably will get close to 20. second most fights for sean avery = 12, and then the rest well under 10.

• phillyboy20 - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Agree with spiffy here Rinaldo is always trying to start a fight, hes got 14 and doesn’t play every night. As a Rangers fan you should have seen this when he tried to fight Bickle (who is twice his size) not last game but the one before

• odj810 - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I hate him as well and he certainly plays on the edge(crossing the line often). But he certainly drops the gloves most of the time usually with guys bigger then he is. And while i hate him with a passion I can say if he was on my team he’d be one of my favorite players…. but he’s not so he sucks

• bigjay271 - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Must suck being a bandwagon fan… i mean rangers fan.

2. broadstbully33 - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM

good hit Zach keep it up….let these crybabys cry…..

3. dbick - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM

He hit him in the chest. I’m not seeing what the uproar is about

4. skezskoz - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Clean hit. And what in god’s name is Ericsson doing on that? Asking to get lit up.

5. mrskunitzdrippinlips - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM

typical filthadelphians…

• spiffy53 - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

i see you changed your screen name. what, too many thumbs down under your old one from the multitude of your stupid comments? that’s ok, you are still the thumbs down champ. don’t sell yourself short.

6. greggoldberg - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

He’s launched much more questionable hits than that one and has probably got off easy on them before. If they suspend him for this it’s a makeup call.

• odj810 - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM

agree. This is just good body contact. But I will bet on him getting suspended, due to questionable hits in the past. Shanny is getting a small history of not suspending players, catching heat and then suspending them with there next big collision

7. napoleonblownapart6887 - Feb 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Admittedly not familiar with this guys past hits, but looking at this one I see two distinct things:

1) hover your mouse over the :06 mark and just keep hitting it over and over – gets you multiple looks at the slo-mo video. When he makes contact you can see that its not with the head… so he’s clean there.

2) do the same thing at the :10 mark and to me it looks like he leaves the ice to make the hit on the taller guy.

My guess is a game given the recent history. Not a terrible hit, but the jumping motion tends to get you noticed (see: Ovechkin, Alex on Michalek, Zybanek).

• elvispocomo - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Here’s my comment on that then (can’t view the video), correctly me if I’m wrong on any points:

– Does he make (legal) contact prior to leaving his feet?
      – Is leaving his feet a result of his momentum when carrying through on the hit?

If those statements are true, he won’t (or shouldn’t be) suspended. If Shanahan feels there is a worrying trend, he can use the hearing to comment on that but then say this particular hit is fine even if it’s on the edge. I have a feeling that will be the tone he goes in with, “I don’t like what you’ve been doing and I don’t like seeing your name come up so often. Tone it down/be more careful or you’ll find yourself in more meetings with me.”

8. hockinj25 - Feb 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ericsson needs to keep his head up but Rinaldo left his feet

• yettyskills - Feb 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

WINNER!!

9. dougr42 - Feb 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Its not Rinaldo’s fault that he makes great checks. The kid can hit. Hard. MOST of them are clean. Get over it.

He left his feet to make a check on a taller guy. No principle contact with the head. If he gets more than a fine for this I’ll be surprised and concerned that Shanaban is just trying to get the kid to stop destroying people with clean hits.

Zac makes people look silly by catching them with their heads down. Keep it up, kid.

10. rexadelphia8 - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM