Feb 8, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
According to a press release currently making the rounds, the NHL is holding a major press conference tomorrow in Detroit to announce…something.
(Hint: It probably rhymes with Binter Blassic. Teams involved probably rhyme with Bings and Beafs.)
The presser will take place in two parts. The first is at Comerica Park — home of Major League Baseball’s Detroit Tigers — the second at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, home of Wolverines football.
The press conference comes on the heels of yesterday’s announcement that the Michigan Board of Regents approved the license of Michigan Stadium for the 2013 NHL Winter Classic, with one of the regents — Andrea Fischer Newman — calling it a “great win for everybody.” With a football capacity of 109,901, “The Big House” will make for an epic NHL stage. It was the site of 2010′s Big Chill between the Wolverines and Michigan State Spartans, which drew a record audience of 113,411.
As for how Comerica Park plays into all of this? Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily reports it will host an American Hockey League game between the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies, the minor league affiliates of the Wings and Leafs. It will also be the site of the Great Lakes Invitational (an annual collegiate men’s hockey tournament usually held at Joe Louis Arena) along with Ontario Hockey League, high school and youth games.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 0
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 17
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 22
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 72
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 57
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (76)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car