Feb 8, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
According to a press release currently making the rounds, the NHL is holding a major press conference tomorrow in Detroit to announce…something.
(Hint: It probably rhymes with Binter Blassic. Teams involved probably rhyme with Bings and Beafs.)
The presser will take place in two parts. The first is at Comerica Park — home of Major League Baseball’s Detroit Tigers — the second at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, home of Wolverines football.
The press conference comes on the heels of yesterday’s announcement that the Michigan Board of Regents approved the license of Michigan Stadium for the 2013 NHL Winter Classic, with one of the regents — Andrea Fischer Newman — calling it a “great win for everybody.” With a football capacity of 109,901, “The Big House” will make for an epic NHL stage. It was the site of 2010’s Big Chill between the Wolverines and Michigan State Spartans, which drew a record audience of 113,411.
As for how Comerica Park plays into all of this? Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily reports it will host an American Hockey League game between the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies, the minor league affiliates of the Wings and Leafs. It will also be the site of the Great Lakes Invitational (an annual collegiate men’s hockey tournament usually held at Joe Louis Arena) along with Ontario Hockey League, high school and youth games.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 0
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 13
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 56
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22