Feb 8, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
According to a press release currently making the rounds, the NHL is holding a major press conference tomorrow in Detroit to announce…something.
(Hint: It probably rhymes with Binter Blassic. Teams involved probably rhyme with Bings and Beafs.)
The presser will take place in two parts. The first is at Comerica Park — home of Major League Baseball’s Detroit Tigers — the second at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, home of Wolverines football.
The press conference comes on the heels of yesterday’s announcement that the Michigan Board of Regents approved the license of Michigan Stadium for the 2013 NHL Winter Classic, with one of the regents — Andrea Fischer Newman — calling it a “great win for everybody.” With a football capacity of 109,901, “The Big House” will make for an epic NHL stage. It was the site of 2010’s Big Chill between the Wolverines and Michigan State Spartans, which drew a record audience of 113,411.
As for how Comerica Park plays into all of this? Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily reports it will host an American Hockey League game between the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies, the minor league affiliates of the Wings and Leafs. It will also be the site of the Great Lakes Invitational (an annual collegiate men’s hockey tournament usually held at Joe Louis Arena) along with Ontario Hockey League, high school and youth games.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)