Feb 8, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
According to a press release currently making the rounds, the NHL is holding a major press conference tomorrow in Detroit to announce…something.
(Hint: It probably rhymes with Binter Blassic. Teams involved probably rhyme with Bings and Beafs.)
The presser will take place in two parts. The first is at Comerica Park — home of Major League Baseball’s Detroit Tigers — the second at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, home of Wolverines football.
The press conference comes on the heels of yesterday’s announcement that the Michigan Board of Regents approved the license of Michigan Stadium for the 2013 NHL Winter Classic, with one of the regents — Andrea Fischer Newman — calling it a “great win for everybody.” With a football capacity of 109,901, “The Big House” will make for an epic NHL stage. It was the site of 2010’s Big Chill between the Wolverines and Michigan State Spartans, which drew a record audience of 113,411.
As for how Comerica Park plays into all of this? Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily reports it will host an American Hockey League game between the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies, the minor league affiliates of the Wings and Leafs. It will also be the site of the Great Lakes Invitational (an annual collegiate men’s hockey tournament usually held at Joe Louis Arena) along with Ontario Hockey League, high school and youth games.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)