Feb 8, 2012, 12:43 PM EST
According to a press release currently making the rounds, the NHL is holding a major press conference tomorrow in Detroit to announce…something.
(Hint: It probably rhymes with Binter Blassic. Teams involved probably rhyme with Bings and Beafs.)
The presser will take place in two parts. The first is at Comerica Park — home of Major League Baseball’s Detroit Tigers — the second at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, home of Wolverines football.
The press conference comes on the heels of yesterday’s announcement that the Michigan Board of Regents approved the license of Michigan Stadium for the 2013 NHL Winter Classic, with one of the regents — Andrea Fischer Newman — calling it a “great win for everybody.” With a football capacity of 109,901, “The Big House” will make for an epic NHL stage. It was the site of 2010’s Big Chill between the Wolverines and Michigan State Spartans, which drew a record audience of 113,411.
As for how Comerica Park plays into all of this? Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily reports it will host an American Hockey League game between the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies, the minor league affiliates of the Wings and Leafs. It will also be the site of the Great Lakes Invitational (an annual collegiate men’s hockey tournament usually held at Joe Louis Arena) along with Ontario Hockey League, high school and youth games.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 16
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)