Feb 8, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
The NHL is expected to announce tomorrow that the 2013 Winter Classic will be played at Michigan Stadium between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Big House will be by far the largest venue to host the NHL’s annual outdoor game – in 2008, 71,217 jammed into Buffalo’s Ralph Wilson Stadium for the first Winter Classic. And since then, no crowd has been bigger.
It will be bigger in 2013.
Michigan Stadium already holds the Guinness record for the largest crowd to attend a hockey game. In 2010, 104,173 watched Michigan play Michigan State in the Big Chill.
Not surprisingly, the NHL wants to break that mark.
“The NHL is hell-bent on breaking the record we set in our event and I hope they do,” Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon told Yahoo! Sports. “Because then we’re going to come back and have another hockey game and try and break their record.”
To which the NHL will respond by making the world’s largest pizza, and that will be that.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 1
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 6
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 18
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11