Feb 8, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
The NHL is expected to announce tomorrow that the 2013 Winter Classic will be played at Michigan Stadium between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Big House will be by far the largest venue to host the NHL’s annual outdoor game – in 2008, 71,217 jammed into Buffalo’s Ralph Wilson Stadium for the first Winter Classic. And since then, no crowd has been bigger.
It will be bigger in 2013.
Michigan Stadium already holds the Guinness record for the largest crowd to attend a hockey game. In 2010, 104,173 watched Michigan play Michigan State in the Big Chill.
Not surprisingly, the NHL wants to break that mark.
“The NHL is hell-bent on breaking the record we set in our event and I hope they do,” Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon told Yahoo! Sports. “Because then we’re going to come back and have another hockey game and try and break their record.”
To which the NHL will respond by making the world’s largest pizza, and that will be that.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 130
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (130)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)