Feb 8, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
The NHL is expected to announce tomorrow that the 2013 Winter Classic will be played at Michigan Stadium between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Big House will be by far the largest venue to host the NHL’s annual outdoor game – in 2008, 71,217 jammed into Buffalo’s Ralph Wilson Stadium for the first Winter Classic. And since then, no crowd has been bigger.
It will be bigger in 2013.
Michigan Stadium already holds the Guinness record for the largest crowd to attend a hockey game. In 2010, 104,173 watched Michigan play Michigan State in the Big Chill.
Not surprisingly, the NHL wants to break that mark.
“The NHL is hell-bent on breaking the record we set in our event and I hope they do,” Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon told Yahoo! Sports. “Because then we’re going to come back and have another hockey game and try and break their record.”
To which the NHL will respond by making the world’s largest pizza, and that will be that.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)