Feb 7, 2012, 8:23 PM EDT
The New York Islanders took underrated forward Frans Nielsen off the unrestricted free agent market today, so it only makes sense that a somewhat similar* player was the topic of discussion elsewhere.
It’s strange to define a Toronto Maple Leafs center as underexposed, but if any player fits that description, it’s Mikhail Grabovski. The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle believes that the versatile Russian pivot’s value might be tough to determine as contract talks loom.
Fellow Leafs center Tyler Bozak gave Grabovski rave reviews.
“I don’t think I can do half the stuff he does,” Bozak said. “Those Russian guys have some pretty nice tricks up their sleeves. He’s got some moves, and he’s got a lot of patience. It’s just fun to watch guys like that.”
Grabovski has been a productive producer even though he hasn’t enjoyed the luxury of lining up with prolific wingers Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul. Mirtle points out that he’s tied for eighth among centers when it comes to scoring goals with 47 in 128 games, placing him ahead of high-wattage stars such as Eric Staal and Anze Kopitar.
Such a price tag might be tough for Brian Burke and the Leafs to stomach, but could he be worth it? If not, what kind of deal would be appropriate? Share your thoughts in the comments.
* – Grabovski is far more explosive, mind you, but both seem to slip under the radar to some extent.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination