Feb 7, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
The New York Islanders locked down shutdown forward Frans Nielsen to a four-year, $11 million deal according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Nielsen would have been an unrestricted free agent this summer if this deal hadn’t been reached.
McKenzie reveals that the salary breaks down as such:
2012-13: $2 million
Nielsen doesn’t get much press because he’s a defensive forward, but he’d be the kind of sturdy two-way player who’d turn some heads if he played on a playoff contender.
Nielsen averages 2:09 shorthanded time per game, good for third overall on the Islanders and No. 1 among the team’s forwards. His offensive output isn’t half-bad, either, with nine goals and 25 points in 51 games this season.
Naturally, Nielsen lacks the platform to get the recognition of a Dave Bolland-type asset because he plays for the Islanders. That being said, if the young squad turns things around soon, he’s likely to be a very valuable piece – and at a reasonable price, too.
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 0
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 7
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 15
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 46
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)