Feb 7, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are bound to enter the conversation whenever a player that can put the puck in the net comes up in trade speculation.
The Kings have the worst offense in the NHL, averaging 2.1 goals per game. But on the bright side, they’re still likely to make the playoffs thanks to goaltending and team defense.
If only they could score…
Jeff Carter is the big name that’s been speculatively linked to the Kings. Tuomo Ruutu’s another name, though he’s been linked to half the teams in the NHL. Yesterday we added David Jones to the list.
Other than that? According to Kings GM Dean Lombardi, the options are few.
“I’m amazed at how many other general managers say, ‘We can’t score. I say, ‘YOU can’t score?’” Lombardi told the Los Angeles Times yesterday.
“It’s hard to find an upgrade right now.”
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes the Kings need to add speed up front – if that’s the case, maybe Ales Hemsky would be worth a look. And if that doesn’t say “the pickings are slim,” we don’t know what would.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)