Feb 7, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are bound to enter the conversation whenever a player that can put the puck in the net comes up in trade speculation.
The Kings have the worst offense in the NHL, averaging 2.1 goals per game. But on the bright side, they’re still likely to make the playoffs thanks to goaltending and team defense.
If only they could score…
Jeff Carter is the big name that’s been speculatively linked to the Kings. Tuomo Ruutu’s another name, though he’s been linked to half the teams in the NHL. Yesterday we added David Jones to the list.
Other than that? According to Kings GM Dean Lombardi, the options are few.
“I’m amazed at how many other general managers say, ‘We can’t score. I say, ‘YOU can’t score?’” Lombardi told the Los Angeles Times yesterday.
“It’s hard to find an upgrade right now.”
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes the Kings need to add speed up front – if that’s the case, maybe Ales Hemsky would be worth a look. And if that doesn’t say “the pickings are slim,” we don’t know what would.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)