Feb 7, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are bound to enter the conversation whenever a player that can put the puck in the net comes up in trade speculation.
The Kings have the worst offense in the NHL, averaging 2.1 goals per game. But on the bright side, they’re still likely to make the playoffs thanks to goaltending and team defense.
If only they could score…
Jeff Carter is the big name that’s been speculatively linked to the Kings. Tuomo Ruutu’s another name, though he’s been linked to half the teams in the NHL. Yesterday we added David Jones to the list.
Other than that? According to Kings GM Dean Lombardi, the options are few.
“I’m amazed at how many other general managers say, ‘We can’t score. I say, ‘YOU can’t score?’” Lombardi told the Los Angeles Times yesterday.
“It’s hard to find an upgrade right now.”
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes the Kings need to add speed up front – if that’s the case, maybe Ales Hemsky would be worth a look. And if that doesn’t say “the pickings are slim,” we don’t know what would.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires