Feb 7, 2012, 12:49 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are bound to enter the conversation whenever a player that can put the puck in the net comes up in trade speculation.
The Kings have the worst offense in the NHL, averaging 2.1 goals per game. But on the bright side, they’re still likely to make the playoffs thanks to goaltending and team defense.
If only they could score…
Jeff Carter is the big name that’s been speculatively linked to the Kings. Tuomo Ruutu’s another name, though he’s been linked to half the teams in the NHL. Yesterday we added David Jones to the list.
Other than that? According to Kings GM Dean Lombardi, the options are few.
“I’m amazed at how many other general managers say, ‘We can’t score. I say, ‘YOU can’t score?’” Lombardi told the Los Angeles Times yesterday.
“It’s hard to find an upgrade right now.”
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes the Kings need to add speed up front – if that’s the case, maybe Ales Hemsky would be worth a look. And if that doesn’t say “the pickings are slim,” we don’t know what would.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 0
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 15
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 8
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)