Feb 7, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are bound to enter the conversation whenever a player that can put the puck in the net comes up in trade speculation.
The Kings have the worst offense in the NHL, averaging 2.1 goals per game. But on the bright side, they’re still likely to make the playoffs thanks to goaltending and team defense.
If only they could score…
Jeff Carter is the big name that’s been speculatively linked to the Kings. Tuomo Ruutu’s another name, though he’s been linked to half the teams in the NHL. Yesterday we added David Jones to the list.
Other than that? According to Kings GM Dean Lombardi, the options are few.
“I’m amazed at how many other general managers say, ‘We can’t score. I say, ‘YOU can’t score?’” Lombardi told the Los Angeles Times yesterday.
“It’s hard to find an upgrade right now.”
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes the Kings need to add speed up front – if that’s the case, maybe Ales Hemsky would be worth a look. And if that doesn’t say “the pickings are slim,” we don’t know what would.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)