Feb 6, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
Any general managers out there in the market for a big winger that scored 27 goals last season? You might want to call the Colorado Avalanche.
If I had to bet? Yeah, I’d say David Jones will be traded by Feb. 27. He’s UFA this summer. The Avs can’t let a guy like him go for nothing. But they also can’t be blamed for not signing him to a richer contract extension right now. He’s making $2.5 million. Regardless of how his season finishes – it’s been mediocre at best so far – he’d get a good offer this summer from someone. He’s only 27 and scored 27 goals last year. Some team would take a good bet on his potential.
Jones has 10 goals in 44 games. He was a healthy scratch Thursday versus Minnesota, and his 14:51 average ice time is almost three minutes less than he played last season. Stick him on a line with a play-maker and he could make for a good addition. Kings maybe?
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 49
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 21
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)