Feb 7, 2012, 3:05 PM EDT
Had a good email conversation last week with one of Jeff Carter‘s defenders. He pointed out that Carter is still very hurt by how he feels the Flyers misled him, and this is still a 40-goal talent. Totally fair; being traded can be devastating for a young player. But, there comes a point where you have to say, “All right. It happened and now I’ve got to move on.” Carter’s rep is taking a huge hit. At least one team has backed off because of what they’re hearing. If he wants to leave Columbus, he’s got to give other teams an incentive to take that 10-year commitment.
Nobody should be surprised to learn Carter is still upset over being traded – not only did he love it in Philly, the Blue Jackets are a disaster. What’s news is that a team has “backed off because of what they’re hearing” about him.
Regardless, I refuse to believe he’s untradeable. As far as teams that might be willing to roll the dice…
Toronto – Theoretically Carter might not be an ideal center to play with Phil Kessel, as both are known for shooting more than passing. However, to outright dismiss a Lupul-Carter-Kessel combination would be silly. That trio could do some damage.
NY Rangers – Not sure I’d want to mess with my team’s chemistry if I were Glen Sather. Then again, not sure I’d want to go into the playoffs with such a mediocre offense. The Rangers are deep down the middle, but Carter can play the wing.
Los Angeles – We wrote about Dean Lombardi’s quest for scoring earlier today. The Kings don’t have a ton of cap space, but maybe they’d be able to include Dustin Penner, a pending UFA, in the deal to make room.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)