Feb 7, 2012, 3:05 PM EDT
Had a good email conversation last week with one of Jeff Carter‘s defenders. He pointed out that Carter is still very hurt by how he feels the Flyers misled him, and this is still a 40-goal talent. Totally fair; being traded can be devastating for a young player. But, there comes a point where you have to say, “All right. It happened and now I’ve got to move on.” Carter’s rep is taking a huge hit. At least one team has backed off because of what they’re hearing. If he wants to leave Columbus, he’s got to give other teams an incentive to take that 10-year commitment.
Nobody should be surprised to learn Carter is still upset over being traded – not only did he love it in Philly, the Blue Jackets are a disaster. What’s news is that a team has “backed off because of what they’re hearing” about him.
Regardless, I refuse to believe he’s untradeable. As far as teams that might be willing to roll the dice…
Toronto – Theoretically Carter might not be an ideal center to play with Phil Kessel, as both are known for shooting more than passing. However, to outright dismiss a Lupul-Carter-Kessel combination would be silly. That trio could do some damage.
NY Rangers – Not sure I’d want to mess with my team’s chemistry if I were Glen Sather. Then again, not sure I’d want to go into the playoffs with such a mediocre offense. The Rangers are deep down the middle, but Carter can play the wing.
Los Angeles – We wrote about Dean Lombardi’s quest for scoring earlier today. The Kings don’t have a ton of cap space, but maybe they’d be able to include Dustin Penner, a pending UFA, in the deal to make room.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)