Feb 7, 2012, 3:05 PM EDT
Had a good email conversation last week with one of Jeff Carter‘s defenders. He pointed out that Carter is still very hurt by how he feels the Flyers misled him, and this is still a 40-goal talent. Totally fair; being traded can be devastating for a young player. But, there comes a point where you have to say, “All right. It happened and now I’ve got to move on.” Carter’s rep is taking a huge hit. At least one team has backed off because of what they’re hearing. If he wants to leave Columbus, he’s got to give other teams an incentive to take that 10-year commitment.
Nobody should be surprised to learn Carter is still upset over being traded – not only did he love it in Philly, the Blue Jackets are a disaster. What’s news is that a team has “backed off because of what they’re hearing” about him.
Regardless, I refuse to believe he’s untradeable. As far as teams that might be willing to roll the dice…
Toronto – Theoretically Carter might not be an ideal center to play with Phil Kessel, as both are known for shooting more than passing. However, to outright dismiss a Lupul-Carter-Kessel combination would be silly. That trio could do some damage.
NY Rangers – Not sure I’d want to mess with my team’s chemistry if I were Glen Sather. Then again, not sure I’d want to go into the playoffs with such a mediocre offense. The Rangers are deep down the middle, but Carter can play the wing.
Los Angeles – We wrote about Dean Lombardi’s quest for scoring earlier today. The Kings don’t have a ton of cap space, but maybe they’d be able to include Dustin Penner, a pending UFA, in the deal to make room.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)