Feb 7, 2012, 3:05 PM EST
Had a good email conversation last week with one of Jeff Carter‘s defenders. He pointed out that Carter is still very hurt by how he feels the Flyers misled him, and this is still a 40-goal talent. Totally fair; being traded can be devastating for a young player. But, there comes a point where you have to say, “All right. It happened and now I’ve got to move on.” Carter’s rep is taking a huge hit. At least one team has backed off because of what they’re hearing. If he wants to leave Columbus, he’s got to give other teams an incentive to take that 10-year commitment.
Nobody should be surprised to learn Carter is still upset over being traded – not only did he love it in Philly, the Blue Jackets are a disaster. What’s news is that a team has “backed off because of what they’re hearing” about him.
Regardless, I refuse to believe he’s untradeable. As far as teams that might be willing to roll the dice…
Toronto – Theoretically Carter might not be an ideal center to play with Phil Kessel, as both are known for shooting more than passing. However, to outright dismiss a Lupul-Carter-Kessel combination would be silly. That trio could do some damage.
NY Rangers – Not sure I’d want to mess with my team’s chemistry if I were Glen Sather. Then again, not sure I’d want to go into the playoffs with such a mediocre offense. The Rangers are deep down the middle, but Carter can play the wing.
Los Angeles – We wrote about Dean Lombardi’s quest for scoring earlier today. The Kings don’t have a ton of cap space, but maybe they’d be able to include Dustin Penner, a pending UFA, in the deal to make room.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)