Feb 2, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Retribution Part II?
That could be the theme of Saturday’s Washington-Montreal game as Rene Bourque — who concussed Nicklas Backstrom with an elbow back on Jan. 3 — appears to be in the Capitals’ crosshairs once again.
Bourque fought (and beat) Matt Hendricks last time the two teams met, but now Washington has a legitimate enforcer in the lineup — Joel Rechlicz, recalled from AHL Hershey on Monday.
The timing of Rechlicz’s promotion was intriguing. So too were his comments about Bourque’s hit on Backstrom.
“Yeah, I heard it was a cheap shot,” Rechlicz told the Washington Post. “Hopefully I’m in the lineup for that game.”
Rechlicz is 6-foot-4, 230 lbs and led the AHL with 184 penalty minutes this year, fighting 12 times in 27 games. In his two games with Washington he’s yet to find a dance partner — possibly because he only played 1:49 against Tampa and 2:37 against Florida — though it wasn’t for a lack of trying. He asked Panthers’ enforcer Krys Barch to go but Barch declined, given his squad was leading on the scoreboard.
That said, Rechlicz doesn’t sound like he’ll let one rejection get him down.
I’m just going to go get my checks and if I’ve got to run a guy through the glass, force him to fight, that’s what you’ve got to do,” he said.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 3
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)