Jan 23, 2012, 1:23 PM EDT
When Boston’s Brad Marchand was suspended five games for clipping Sami Salo, the Bruins openly voiced their displeasure with the league’s ruling – criticism the NHL probably wasn’t thrilled to receive in the wake of such a high-profile game.
Which brings us to yesterday, when Andrew Ference was suspended three games for running Ryan McDonagh into the end boards. Oddly enough, the club was a little more reserved in its appraisal of the decision.
Yeah, probably not.
“You respect what [the NHL] is trying to do and you move on,” said coach Claude Julien about the Ference ruling.
Ference, meanwhile, offered a similar response, as reported by CSNNE.com.
“At the end of the day it’s [Shanahan’s] call and you just deal with it,” Ference said. “I gave my full opinion with him. I was going extremely fast trying to win a race to the puck. Once I realized that the race to the puck was lost, I changed course and tried to create a pin situation where you can battle for the puck. But at the initial contact of the pin he loses his balance to the extreme and goes in pretty hard.”
OK, so maybe the Bruins felt they had more reason to question the Marchand suspension – especially one that involved the “propaganda”-spewing Canucks – but it’s clear the Bruins want to downplay the Ference suspension, even if they disagree with it.
And the NHL probably appreciates that.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)