Jan 23, 2012, 1:23 PM EDT
When Boston’s Brad Marchand was suspended five games for clipping Sami Salo, the Bruins openly voiced their displeasure with the league’s ruling – criticism the NHL probably wasn’t thrilled to receive in the wake of such a high-profile game.
Which brings us to yesterday, when Andrew Ference was suspended three games for running Ryan McDonagh into the end boards. Oddly enough, the club was a little more reserved in its appraisal of the decision.
Yeah, probably not.
“You respect what [the NHL] is trying to do and you move on,” said coach Claude Julien about the Ference ruling.
Ference, meanwhile, offered a similar response, as reported by CSNNE.com.
“At the end of the day it’s [Shanahan’s] call and you just deal with it,” Ference said. “I gave my full opinion with him. I was going extremely fast trying to win a race to the puck. Once I realized that the race to the puck was lost, I changed course and tried to create a pin situation where you can battle for the puck. But at the initial contact of the pin he loses his balance to the extreme and goes in pretty hard.”
OK, so maybe the Bruins felt they had more reason to question the Marchand suspension – especially one that involved the “propaganda”-spewing Canucks – but it’s clear the Bruins want to downplay the Ference suspension, even if they disagree with it.
And the NHL probably appreciates that.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)