Jan 22, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
With the Bruins set to take on the Flyers this afternoon, the NHL had to rule on whether or not Andrew Ference would be eligible to play or not. Bruins coach Claude Julien confirmed before today’s game that Ference has been suspended by the league.
“You respect what [the NHL] is trying to go and you move on,” said Julien.
The length of Ference’s suspension is unknown, however, and the Bruins are awaiting word on just how many more games he’ll miss thanks to his reckless hit on Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh during the Bruins’ 3-2 overtime loss yesterday.
French-Canadian sports network RDS reports that Ference will sit for three games, but Brendan Shanahan’s decision is the only one that matters. We’ll update you on that once Shanahan’s decision and video when that comes down.
Update: It’s official, make it three games for Ference.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (78)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)