Jan 22, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
With the Bruins set to take on the Flyers this afternoon, the NHL had to rule on whether or not Andrew Ference would be eligible to play or not. Bruins coach Claude Julien confirmed before today’s game that Ference has been suspended by the league.
“You respect what [the NHL] is trying to go and you move on,” said Julien.
The length of Ference’s suspension is unknown, however, and the Bruins are awaiting word on just how many more games he’ll miss thanks to his reckless hit on Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh during the Bruins’ 3-2 overtime loss yesterday.
French-Canadian sports network RDS reports that Ference will sit for three games, but Brendan Shanahan’s decision is the only one that matters. We’ll update you on that once Shanahan’s decision and video when that comes down.
Update: It’s official, make it three games for Ference.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)