Jan 22, 2012, 2:57 PM EST
With the Bruins set to take on the Flyers this afternoon, the NHL had to rule on whether or not Andrew Ference would be eligible to play or not. Bruins coach Claude Julien confirmed before today’s game that Ference has been suspended by the league.
“You respect what [the NHL] is trying to go and you move on,” said Julien.
The length of Ference’s suspension is unknown, however, and the Bruins are awaiting word on just how many more games he’ll miss thanks to his reckless hit on Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh during the Bruins’ 3-2 overtime loss yesterday.
French-Canadian sports network RDS reports that Ference will sit for three games, but Brendan Shanahan’s decision is the only one that matters. We’ll update you on that once Shanahan’s decision and video when that comes down.
Update: It’s official, make it three games for Ference.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)