Jan 22, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
With the Bruins set to take on the Flyers this afternoon, the NHL had to rule on whether or not Andrew Ference would be eligible to play or not. Bruins coach Claude Julien confirmed before today’s game that Ference has been suspended by the league.
“You respect what [the NHL] is trying to go and you move on,” said Julien.
The length of Ference’s suspension is unknown, however, and the Bruins are awaiting word on just how many more games he’ll miss thanks to his reckless hit on Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh during the Bruins’ 3-2 overtime loss yesterday.
French-Canadian sports network RDS reports that Ference will sit for three games, but Brendan Shanahan’s decision is the only one that matters. We’ll update you on that once Shanahan’s decision and video when that comes down.
Update: It’s official, make it three games for Ference.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)