Jan 18, 2012, 8:10 AM EST
Jeff Skinner just came back from missing time with a concussion. You can imagine the horror Hurricanes fans felt last night then when Skinner was laid out courtesy of a monster hit by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik.
Orpik was given a minor penalty for interference on the play, but that seemed to be more of a reactionary thing since Skinner was down and out. Skinner did go to the quiet room and returned the game, however, and even participated in the shootout (which Carolina lost).
After the game, Skinner explained what happened on the play to Chip Alexander of the News & Observer.
“I saw him coming,” Skinner said. “I thought I could chip it in and get by him. Then, when I couldn’t, I tried to get my hands up to protect myself as quick as possible.”
Orpik told Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the referee apologized to him for the penalty since he was wrong about the call. That said, the next time Skinner goes through center ice with his head down, he might not end up as fortunate as he turned out to be.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)