Jan 18, 2012, 8:10 AM EST
Jeff Skinner just came back from missing time with a concussion. You can imagine the horror Hurricanes fans felt last night then when Skinner was laid out courtesy of a monster hit by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik.
Orpik was given a minor penalty for interference on the play, but that seemed to be more of a reactionary thing since Skinner was down and out. Skinner did go to the quiet room and returned the game, however, and even participated in the shootout (which Carolina lost).
After the game, Skinner explained what happened on the play to Chip Alexander of the News & Observer.
“I saw him coming,” Skinner said. “I thought I could chip it in and get by him. Then, when I couldn’t, I tried to get my hands up to protect myself as quick as possible.”
Orpik told Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the referee apologized to him for the penalty since he was wrong about the call. That said, the next time Skinner goes through center ice with his head down, he might not end up as fortunate as he turned out to be.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)