Jan 18, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
Jeff Skinner just came back from missing time with a concussion. You can imagine the horror Hurricanes fans felt last night then when Skinner was laid out courtesy of a monster hit by Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik.
Orpik was given a minor penalty for interference on the play, but that seemed to be more of a reactionary thing since Skinner was down and out. Skinner did go to the quiet room and returned the game, however, and even participated in the shootout (which Carolina lost).
After the game, Skinner explained what happened on the play to Chip Alexander of the News & Observer.
“I saw him coming,” Skinner said. “I thought I could chip it in and get by him. Then, when I couldn’t, I tried to get my hands up to protect myself as quick as possible.”
Orpik told Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the referee apologized to him for the penalty since he was wrong about the call. That said, the next time Skinner goes through center ice with his head down, he might not end up as fortunate as he turned out to be.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 5
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 3
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 8
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)