Jan 15, 2012, 11:48 AM EST
The time has arrived for Carolina — Jeff Skinner is back and ready to play.
The Hurricanes activated Skinner from injured reserve and will have him in the lineup tonight against Washington as the Hurricanes hope to win their third straight game. Skinner has been out of action since a game in early December where Andy Sutton hit him from behind putting him out of action.
When Skinner left the Hurricanes lineup with a concussion he was tops on the team in points. He returns seeing captain Eric Staal returning to form as the team’s leader and playing solid hockey of late. Rejoining the lineup like this means Carolina could be ready to make a push in the Southeast Division.
As it is, Carolina has overtaken Tampa Bay for fourth place and are just six points back of Winnipeg for third. The Hurricanes are nine points behind Washington for the eighth spot in the East. Skinner’s return should help give Carolina a lift they’ve been in need of lately. If it can’t do that, the Hurricanes could be sellers at the trade deadline.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 17
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)