Jan 15, 2012, 11:48 AM EDT
The time has arrived for Carolina — Jeff Skinner is back and ready to play.
The Hurricanes activated Skinner from injured reserve and will have him in the lineup tonight against Washington as the Hurricanes hope to win their third straight game. Skinner has been out of action since a game in early December where Andy Sutton hit him from behind putting him out of action.
When Skinner left the Hurricanes lineup with a concussion he was tops on the team in points. He returns seeing captain Eric Staal returning to form as the team’s leader and playing solid hockey of late. Rejoining the lineup like this means Carolina could be ready to make a push in the Southeast Division.
As it is, Carolina has overtaken Tampa Bay for fourth place and are just six points back of Winnipeg for third. The Hurricanes are nine points behind Washington for the eighth spot in the East. Skinner’s return should help give Carolina a lift they’ve been in need of lately. If it can’t do that, the Hurricanes could be sellers at the trade deadline.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)