Jan 17, 2012, 12:07 PM EDT
Dave Lozo of NHL.com reports Nashville has ruled out All-Star defenseman Ryan Suter for tonight’s game in New York against the Rangers. Head coach Barry Trotz made the announcement a short while ago, hardly surprising given what transpired yesterday in the Predators’ 3-1 win over the Isles.
Suter, who came into the game nursing an upper-body injury, exited the contest after the first period and didn’t return. The move was initially thought to be precautionary — the Preds jumped out to a 3-0 lead after one — but following the contest Trotz said that Suter’s injury was still bothering him and that he’d be questionable for today’s game.
Now, Suter’s out.
It’s a tough loss for Nashville heading into one of its biggest games of the year. The Preds are red hot, having won five in a row, and are playing on one of the biggest stages of the year: Madison Square Garden, in a nationally-televised contest (Preds-Rangers is on NBC Sports Network tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET). Nashville is also one win away from matching the longest winning streak in franchise history — six games, a mark set back during the 2003-04 season.
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)