Jan 17, 2012, 12:07 PM EST
Dave Lozo of NHL.com reports Nashville has ruled out All-Star defenseman Ryan Suter for tonight’s game in New York against the Rangers. Head coach Barry Trotz made the announcement a short while ago, hardly surprising given what transpired yesterday in the Predators’ 3-1 win over the Isles.
Suter, who came into the game nursing an upper-body injury, exited the contest after the first period and didn’t return. The move was initially thought to be precautionary — the Preds jumped out to a 3-0 lead after one — but following the contest Trotz said that Suter’s injury was still bothering him and that he’d be questionable for today’s game.
Now, Suter’s out.
It’s a tough loss for Nashville heading into one of its biggest games of the year. The Preds are red hot, having won five in a row, and are playing on one of the biggest stages of the year: Madison Square Garden, in a nationally-televised contest (Preds-Rangers is on NBC Sports Network tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET). Nashville is also one win away from matching the longest winning streak in franchise history — six games, a mark set back during the 2003-04 season.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)