Jan 17, 2012, 12:07 PM EST
Dave Lozo of NHL.com reports Nashville has ruled out All-Star defenseman Ryan Suter for tonight’s game in New York against the Rangers. Head coach Barry Trotz made the announcement a short while ago, hardly surprising given what transpired yesterday in the Predators’ 3-1 win over the Isles.
Suter, who came into the game nursing an upper-body injury, exited the contest after the first period and didn’t return. The move was initially thought to be precautionary — the Preds jumped out to a 3-0 lead after one — but following the contest Trotz said that Suter’s injury was still bothering him and that he’d be questionable for today’s game.
Now, Suter’s out.
It’s a tough loss for Nashville heading into one of its biggest games of the year. The Preds are red hot, having won five in a row, and are playing on one of the biggest stages of the year: Madison Square Garden, in a nationally-televised contest (Preds-Rangers is on NBC Sports Network tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET). Nashville is also one win away from matching the longest winning streak in franchise history — six games, a mark set back during the 2003-04 season.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 31
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)