Jan 16, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
While the Nashville Predators were happy with Monday’s 3-1 win over the Islanders, they couldn’t be pleased with the news involving Ryan Suter.
The All-Star defenseman left the contest after the first period with an upper-body injury. Suter played 10 shifts in the opening frame for 7:04 of ice time, but appeared to have aggravated a preexisting condition (Suter was questionable for the game with an upper-body injury.)
The move may have been precautionary more than anything as the Predators led 3-0 after the opening frame, but it still raised plenty of eyebrows. One of the most amusing developments? Given how frequently Suter’s name has been bandied about in trade talks, there was much speculation he’d been pulled from the contest because of an impending deal, something we saw last week with the Mike Cammalleri-for-Rene Bourque trade. (H/T to J.R. Lind of the Nashville Post for making light of it. Twice.)
It’ll be interesting to see if Suter returns to the Preds lineup for tomorrow night’s big game against the Rangers. Not only are the Preds playing at MSG against the Eastern Conference leaders, they’re also doing it on national television (game is available on NBC Sports Network) and come into New York riding a five-game winning streak.
UPDATE: According to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen, Nashville head coach Barry Trotz says Suter is questionable for tomorrow.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)