Jan 16, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
While the Nashville Predators were happy with Monday’s 3-1 win over the Islanders, they couldn’t be pleased with the news involving Ryan Suter.
The All-Star defenseman left the contest after the first period with an upper-body injury. Suter played 10 shifts in the opening frame for 7:04 of ice time, but appeared to have aggravated a preexisting condition (Suter was questionable for the game with an upper-body injury.)
The move may have been precautionary more than anything as the Predators led 3-0 after the opening frame, but it still raised plenty of eyebrows. One of the most amusing developments? Given how frequently Suter’s name has been bandied about in trade talks, there was much speculation he’d been pulled from the contest because of an impending deal, something we saw last week with the Mike Cammalleri-for-Rene Bourque trade. (H/T to J.R. Lind of the Nashville Post for making light of it. Twice.)
It’ll be interesting to see if Suter returns to the Preds lineup for tomorrow night’s big game against the Rangers. Not only are the Preds playing at MSG against the Eastern Conference leaders, they’re also doing it on national television (game is available on NBC Sports Network) and come into New York riding a five-game winning streak.
UPDATE: According to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen, Nashville head coach Barry Trotz says Suter is questionable for tomorrow.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)