Jan 16, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
While the Nashville Predators were happy with Monday’s 3-1 win over the Islanders, they couldn’t be pleased with the news involving Ryan Suter.
The All-Star defenseman left the contest after the first period with an upper-body injury. Suter played 10 shifts in the opening frame for 7:04 of ice time, but appeared to have aggravated a preexisting condition (Suter was questionable for the game with an upper-body injury.)
The move may have been precautionary more than anything as the Predators led 3-0 after the opening frame, but it still raised plenty of eyebrows. One of the most amusing developments? Given how frequently Suter’s name has been bandied about in trade talks, there was much speculation he’d been pulled from the contest because of an impending deal, something we saw last week with the Mike Cammalleri-for-Rene Bourque trade. (H/T to J.R. Lind of the Nashville Post for making light of it. Twice.)
It’ll be interesting to see if Suter returns to the Preds lineup for tomorrow night’s big game against the Rangers. Not only are the Preds playing at MSG against the Eastern Conference leaders, they’re also doing it on national television (game is available on NBC Sports Network) and come into New York riding a five-game winning streak.
UPDATE: According to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen, Nashville head coach Barry Trotz says Suter is questionable for tomorrow.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)