Jan 16, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
While the Nashville Predators were happy with Monday’s 3-1 win over the Islanders, they couldn’t be pleased with the news involving Ryan Suter.
The All-Star defenseman left the contest after the first period with an upper-body injury. Suter played 10 shifts in the opening frame for 7:04 of ice time, but appeared to have aggravated a preexisting condition (Suter was questionable for the game with an upper-body injury.)
The move may have been precautionary more than anything as the Predators led 3-0 after the opening frame, but it still raised plenty of eyebrows. One of the most amusing developments? Given how frequently Suter’s name has been bandied about in trade talks, there was much speculation he’d been pulled from the contest because of an impending deal, something we saw last week with the Mike Cammalleri-for-Rene Bourque trade. (H/T to J.R. Lind of the Nashville Post for making light of it. Twice.)
It’ll be interesting to see if Suter returns to the Preds lineup for tomorrow night’s big game against the Rangers. Not only are the Preds playing at MSG against the Eastern Conference leaders, they’re also doing it on national television (game is available on NBC Sports Network) and come into New York riding a five-game winning streak.
UPDATE: According to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen, Nashville head coach Barry Trotz says Suter is questionable for tomorrow.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)