Jan 16, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
While the Nashville Predators were happy with Monday’s 3-1 win over the Islanders, they couldn’t be pleased with the news involving Ryan Suter.
The All-Star defenseman left the contest after the first period with an upper-body injury. Suter played 10 shifts in the opening frame for 7:04 of ice time, but appeared to have aggravated a preexisting condition (Suter was questionable for the game with an upper-body injury.)
The move may have been precautionary more than anything as the Predators led 3-0 after the opening frame, but it still raised plenty of eyebrows. One of the most amusing developments? Given how frequently Suter’s name has been bandied about in trade talks, there was much speculation he’d been pulled from the contest because of an impending deal, something we saw last week with the Mike Cammalleri-for-Rene Bourque trade. (H/T to J.R. Lind of the Nashville Post for making light of it. Twice.)
It’ll be interesting to see if Suter returns to the Preds lineup for tomorrow night’s big game against the Rangers. Not only are the Preds playing at MSG against the Eastern Conference leaders, they’re also doing it on national television (game is available on NBC Sports Network) and come into New York riding a five-game winning streak.
UPDATE: According to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen, Nashville head coach Barry Trotz says Suter is questionable for tomorrow.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 4
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)