Jan 17, 2012, 12:47 PM EST
Capitals defenseman Mike Green will have surgery this afternoon in St. Louis to repair a sports hernia.
If you’re confused as to what exactly is wrong with the guy, Green has dealt with two injuries this season, according to general manager George McPhee.
“One was a tendon issue, one was a little tear in the stomach [lining]. The tendon healed just fine but the hole didn’t close up. We just need to close that thing up,” McPhee said, as per the Washington Post. “It just never really healed to the point he can play with it effectively.”
The Caps say Green is likely to miss 4-6 weeks, and there’s no reason to believe they’re being overly optimistic. Rangers forward Wojtek Wolski had surgery for a sports hernia in November and was healthy enough to return to John Tortorella’s doghouse by early January.
Dr. Michael Brunt will perform Green’s surgery. We checked him out here, and his credentials seem to be in order. Did med school at Johns Hopkins. Which is no Hollywood Upstairs Medical College, but what is, right?
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)