Jan 17, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Capitals defenseman Mike Green will have surgery this afternoon in St. Louis to repair a sports hernia.
If you’re confused as to what exactly is wrong with the guy, Green has dealt with two injuries this season, according to general manager George McPhee.
“One was a tendon issue, one was a little tear in the stomach [lining]. The tendon healed just fine but the hole didn’t close up. We just need to close that thing up,” McPhee said, as per the Washington Post. “It just never really healed to the point he can play with it effectively.”
The Caps say Green is likely to miss 4-6 weeks, and there’s no reason to believe they’re being overly optimistic. Rangers forward Wojtek Wolski had surgery for a sports hernia in November and was healthy enough to return to John Tortorella’s doghouse by early January.
Dr. Michael Brunt will perform Green’s surgery. We checked him out here, and his credentials seem to be in order. Did med school at Johns Hopkins. Which is no Hollywood Upstairs Medical College, but what is, right?
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 1
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)