Jan 17, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Capitals defenseman Mike Green will have surgery this afternoon in St. Louis to repair a sports hernia.
If you’re confused as to what exactly is wrong with the guy, Green has dealt with two injuries this season, according to general manager George McPhee.
“One was a tendon issue, one was a little tear in the stomach [lining]. The tendon healed just fine but the hole didn’t close up. We just need to close that thing up,” McPhee said, as per the Washington Post. “It just never really healed to the point he can play with it effectively.”
The Caps say Green is likely to miss 4-6 weeks, and there’s no reason to believe they’re being overly optimistic. Rangers forward Wojtek Wolski had surgery for a sports hernia in November and was healthy enough to return to John Tortorella’s doghouse by early January.
Dr. Michael Brunt will perform Green’s surgery. We checked him out here, and his credentials seem to be in order. Did med school at Johns Hopkins. Which is no Hollywood Upstairs Medical College, but what is, right?
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)