Jan 17, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Capitals defenseman Mike Green will have surgery this afternoon in St. Louis to repair a sports hernia.
If you’re confused as to what exactly is wrong with the guy, Green has dealt with two injuries this season, according to general manager George McPhee.
“One was a tendon issue, one was a little tear in the stomach [lining]. The tendon healed just fine but the hole didn’t close up. We just need to close that thing up,” McPhee said, as per the Washington Post. “It just never really healed to the point he can play with it effectively.”
The Caps say Green is likely to miss 4-6 weeks, and there’s no reason to believe they’re being overly optimistic. Rangers forward Wojtek Wolski had surgery for a sports hernia in November and was healthy enough to return to John Tortorella’s doghouse by early January.
Dr. Michael Brunt will perform Green’s surgery. We checked him out here, and his credentials seem to be in order. Did med school at Johns Hopkins. Which is no Hollywood Upstairs Medical College, but what is, right?
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 59
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 58
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 164
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (164)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)