Jan 17, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Capitals defenseman Mike Green will have surgery this afternoon in St. Louis to repair a sports hernia.
If you’re confused as to what exactly is wrong with the guy, Green has dealt with two injuries this season, according to general manager George McPhee.
“One was a tendon issue, one was a little tear in the stomach [lining]. The tendon healed just fine but the hole didn’t close up. We just need to close that thing up,” McPhee said, as per the Washington Post. “It just never really healed to the point he can play with it effectively.”
The Caps say Green is likely to miss 4-6 weeks, and there’s no reason to believe they’re being overly optimistic. Rangers forward Wojtek Wolski had surgery for a sports hernia in November and was healthy enough to return to John Tortorella’s doghouse by early January.
Dr. Michael Brunt will perform Green’s surgery. We checked him out here, and his credentials seem to be in order. Did med school at Johns Hopkins. Which is no Hollywood Upstairs Medical College, but what is, right?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)