Struggling Kesler gets snippy about coach’s comments

Jan 16, 2012, 4:27 PM EST

Ryan Kesler AP

Canucks coach Alain Vigneault didn’t say anything yesterday after his team’s 4-2 loss to the Ducks that hasn’t been said before – Ryan Kesler needs to “use the players around him a bit more.”

After scoring 41 goals last season, Kesler has only 12 so far in 2011-12, including just six even strength (when he doesn’t get to play with the Sedins).

Similar to the criticism Alex Ovechkin has faced, Kesler has been accused of falling in love with his shot to the point of becoming utterly predictable when he carries the puck into the attacking zone. The result? Shot after shot bouncing off defensemen’s shin-pads.

But according to Kesler, Vigneault’s never told him anything about using his teammates more. And judging by Kesler’s comments today, he doesn’t appreciate hearing his coach’s criticisms from the media, as opposed to from the coach himself.

“I don’t know what [Vigneault] means by that,” he told reporters. “If he wants to say that, he can come to me and talk to me about it.”

In a related story, Fight! Fight! Fight!

Related: The Big Question: Which player has been the most disappointing?

1. davebabychreturns - Jan 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Without David Booth healthy (and with Raymond and Higgins playing some uninspired hockey) it’s looking an awful lot like the helicopter line again.

Maybe AV needs to tell Mike Gillis that Kesler should be using his linemates more..

2. haterzgonahate - Jan 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM

one loss and the sky is falling in Nuck land? C’mann!

3. kicksave1980 - Jan 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Kessler’s shots are being blocked? surprised Vignault and Gillis didn’t blame Bettman and demand a suspension for the defensemen blocking the shots.

4. tommytd - Jan 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Just more whining from the the Cnuckleheads…does it ever end? Do they ever go out there and JUST PLAY HOCKEY??? Yikes.

5. oscojoe - Jan 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Most Country’s have a sport or two that they identify with. In Canada Hockey is with out question a sport they identify with. Canadians have alot of passion & knowledge about Hockey and a great history.

With all that said, why do any Canadians identify themselves as a fan of the Vancouver Canucks?

As skilled as some of there players maybe, there attitudes, arrogance & style of play is so not what Canadians grew up with or repersent as there great Sport.

What Gives here?

Please some one explain to a Non-Canadian Hockey Fan

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Very few Canadians outside of BC support them, in fact we loath them. Hope that helps.

• vanredstar - Jan 17, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Haters gonna hate. When you have the best Canadian team by a looooong shot, people are always gonna try to knock you from that perch.

I feel I can speak for a lot of Canucks fans and say…no one cares if people don’t like us. This fanbase is large, and tight, and it’s really hard to hear all that hate over all the goal sirens and W’s anyways.

So keep up the noise, I guess it’s really the only thing to do when your team is out of it by April. I for one don’t know the feeling.

Go Canucks.

6. ikillchicken - Jan 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Any excuse to stir up shit about the Canucks eh?

• oscojoe - Jan 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Not looking to stir anything up, I just know how much pride Candians have in general and specifcally about the game of Hockey. From what I see the Canucks seem to repersent the opposite in many ways with the way they act on the ice and how they handle themselves.

I have been a fan of some teams that I was embarssed with and stopped following them because they didn’t repersent or respect the game they way it should be played. The current Canucks fit that mold.

Yet I read & hear people condoning them.

• taytay099 - Jan 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Just because you don’t like the attitude of some of their players or the coach doesn’t mean everyone should hate them with you. Most people in Vancouver have grown up as Canuck fans and are passionate about the team. I stopped being a fan during the Mark Messier days after Linden was screwed over. That was the ultimate disrespect and embarrassment if you ask me. I don’t know what you mean by the Canucks not playing the game with respect.

• salmon90 - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Oscojoe – totally right. Especially with the ‘off-ice’ behavior. Donating millions of dollars to Children’s Hospital, countless hours of community service and they don’t even get drunk in public anymore now that O’Brien has left. Absolutely atrocious behavior from these Canuck ‘role-models’ – they should be out punching cab drivers like real hockey players. It’s a complete embarrassment to follow these guys. I heard Alex Burrows even slashed a guy last game looking to draw a penalty. And now Kesler is grumpy! I don’t know how we take it.

• cshearing - Jan 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM

You stopped being a fan of a team because of the actions of a few players? Does not sound like a true fan to me.

I know the Canucks are fairly dirty in the way they play. However, all I see here are fans of other teams that love to play dirty trashing them. There lots of nastiness in the NHL to go around, and fans of the Bruins or Flyers bashing the Canucks makes me smile at the irony.

• tommytd - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM

It sure doesn’t take much…they give us plenty of “shit” to write about. Never seen a more dysfunctional group.

• tommytd - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I stopped respecting them when their fans torched their own city and the city fathers asked the NHL to help clean up the mess. Gimme a break…

7. blomfeld - Jan 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Achtung Jason Brough: The score was 4-2 last night … not 4-1 !

As Canucks go, Ryan Kesler is actually a pretty cool guy. After a terrific season last year, his production is admittedly “off” this year. But that’s hardly surprising, given the fact that he started this year still recuperating from injury. I remember all the uproar that the “surgeon” Bobby Clarke created here a few years back, when he made an offer to sign Kesler to the Flyers for approx 2 million. That pissed off the Canuck’s management to no end at the time, because they were then compelled to “match” in-order to retain him … well what a good thing they did, eh ? There’s nothing wrong with Kesler’s play and that “fur-trapper” Vigneault had better seriously zip it ! He pulled this same “mind game” crap with Cody Hodgson before and today he looks like an absolute idiot for doing that.

On another note, some of you guys weigh in with some interesting views on why the Canucks are so “apparently” despised ? With all kidding aside (ie: Sisters and such) I truly believe that what it comes down to is nothing more than “envy” … that basic human flaw which we’re loathe to admit having ourselves, but we all invariably do have at times. Despite living but a 30 minute walk from Rogers Arena, I’m not a Canucks fan myself for “personal” reasons (ie: the reason involves a woman). However, the truth of the matter is that they’re probably the best team in the league today, hence all the animosity.

• tommytd - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM

On the contrary…they’re pussies.

8. canucks18 - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Tommytd you have zero idea what you are talking about. You and many others spit out this verbal diahrea thinking you have something to say that people might actually care about, but sorry to tell you, you’re a moron.
    It wasn’t “fans” that torched Vancouver in the riot. If you had paid any true attention, the “fans” were the ones who showed up the next day to help the city clean up effort so you can stuff every one of your comments up your ass…

• salmon90 - Jan 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

don’t be too caught up with tommytd – we’ve seen this kind before. Hates the Canucks, their fans, even the mayor of Vancouver evidently. Lot of negative energy there Tommy boy. What’s wrong big guy?

• vanredstar - Jan 17, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Bruins fan. Only thing that makes sense.

9. kicksave1980 - Jan 17, 2012 at 4:28 AM

@vansredstar All the W’s. When I think of the Canucks, I think of a couple of things…

1- Dustin Byfuglien showing the Hawks logo to the fans in the front row after making Luongo his bitch…again.

2- The way your fan base, GM, Coach, and announcers have a way of finding blame in the league, the commissioner, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, the referees, and the Easter Bunny every time things don’t go the Canucks way.

3- Getting smoked by the Hawks in the playoffs 2 years in a row, and taking 7 games, plus OT, to beat a salary cap raped Blackhawks team. Probably won’t happen again, so good thing the Canucks capitalized last season…wait…

• salmon90 - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Can you expand on point 2 for us? Or is it just a general notion you feel with little substance to back it up.

Let me guess – Gillis last year in the playoffs against the Hawks complaining about the officiating? Sort of like Trotz did the next series? Or like Quenneville and Torteralla have done this year? Or Ruff? Or Chirelli complaining to the league about his player getting suspended. Or like Gretzky did in the Olympics years ago?

I’m assuming you’re a Hawks fan so if you missed it:

So are there other instances where our management, coaches or players have spoken out? I follow this team pretty closely – would love to see some more examples.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches