Jan 16, 2012, 4:27 PM EST
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault didn’t say anything yesterday after his team’s 4-2 loss to the Ducks that hasn’t been said before – Ryan Kesler needs to “use the players around him a bit more.”
After scoring 41 goals last season, Kesler has only 12 so far in 2011-12, including just six even strength (when he doesn’t get to play with the Sedins).
Similar to the criticism Alex Ovechkin has faced, Kesler has been accused of falling in love with his shot to the point of becoming utterly predictable when he carries the puck into the attacking zone. The result? Shot after shot bouncing off defensemen’s shin-pads.
But according to Kesler, Vigneault’s never told him anything about using his teammates more. And judging by Kesler’s comments today, he doesn’t appreciate hearing his coach’s criticisms from the media, as opposed to from the coach himself.
“I don’t know what [Vigneault] means by that,” he told reporters. “If he wants to say that, he can come to me and talk to me about it.”
In a related story, Fight! Fight! Fight!
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)