Jan 16, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
We wouldn’t say Twitter is blowing up with speculation that Anaheim tough guy George Parros could be on his way to Vancouver, but the rumor – courtesy Sportsnet’s Doug MacLean – is getting its share of attention.
Here’s why the story could be true:
—-The Canucks, in the opinion of many, lack toughness. There’s nobody on Vancouver that strikes fear into the hearts of the opponent and there’s no question teams take liberties with the Sedins.
—-Canucks GM Mike Gillis said last week that he was looking for “players who bring more balance to our team in certain areas.”
—-Parros is a pending UFA with a manageable $875,000 cap hit.
—-Parros went to Princeton and Gillis likes smart guys.
Here’s why the story could be bunk:
—-The Canucks have always said they covet tough players that can contribute in other areas, and Parros has always been a 5-6 minutes-per-game guy.
—-TSN’s Bob McKenzie: “Can tell you ANA and VAN have not had single discussion on Parros.”
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)