Jan 16, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
We wouldn’t say Twitter is blowing up with speculation that Anaheim tough guy George Parros could be on his way to Vancouver, but the rumor – courtesy Sportsnet’s Doug MacLean – is getting its share of attention.
Here’s why the story could be true:
—-The Canucks, in the opinion of many, lack toughness. There’s nobody on Vancouver that strikes fear into the hearts of the opponent and there’s no question teams take liberties with the Sedins.
—-Canucks GM Mike Gillis said last week that he was looking for “players who bring more balance to our team in certain areas.”
—-Parros is a pending UFA with a manageable $875,000 cap hit.
—-Parros went to Princeton and Gillis likes smart guys.
Here’s why the story could be bunk:
—-The Canucks have always said they covet tough players that can contribute in other areas, and Parros has always been a 5-6 minutes-per-game guy.
—-TSN’s Bob McKenzie: “Can tell you ANA and VAN have not had single discussion on Parros.”
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 7
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 21
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)