Jan 16, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
We wouldn’t say Twitter is blowing up with speculation that Anaheim tough guy George Parros could be on his way to Vancouver, but the rumor – courtesy Sportsnet’s Doug MacLean – is getting its share of attention.
Here’s why the story could be true:
—-The Canucks, in the opinion of many, lack toughness. There’s nobody on Vancouver that strikes fear into the hearts of the opponent and there’s no question teams take liberties with the Sedins.
—-Canucks GM Mike Gillis said last week that he was looking for “players who bring more balance to our team in certain areas.”
—-Parros is a pending UFA with a manageable $875,000 cap hit.
—-Parros went to Princeton and Gillis likes smart guys.
Here’s why the story could be bunk:
—-The Canucks have always said they covet tough players that can contribute in other areas, and Parros has always been a 5-6 minutes-per-game guy.
—-TSN’s Bob McKenzie: “Can tell you ANA and VAN have not had single discussion on Parros.”
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 0
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 8
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 23
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 84
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 98
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)