Speculation: Parros to Canucks?

Jan 16, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT

George Parros Getty Images

We wouldn’t say Twitter is blowing up with speculation that Anaheim tough guy George Parros could be on his way to Vancouver, but the rumor – courtesy Sportsnet’s Doug MacLean – is getting its share of attention.

Here’s why the story could be true:

—-The Canucks, in the opinion of many, lack toughness. There’s nobody on Vancouver that strikes fear into the hearts of the opponent and there’s no question teams take liberties with the Sedins.

—-Canucks GM Mike Gillis said last week that he was looking for “players who bring more balance to our team in certain areas.”

—-Parros is a pending UFA with a manageable $875,000 cap hit.

—-Parros went to Princeton and Gillis likes smart guys.

Here’s why the story could be bunk:

—-The Canucks have always said they covet tough players that can contribute in other areas, and Parros has always been a 5-6 minutes-per-game guy.

—-TSN’s Bob McKenzie: “Can tell you ANA and VAN have not had single discussion on Parros.”

1. elvispocomo - Jan 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Don’t see it happening. We’d be more likely to go after Jared Boll or a similar player.

2. danphipps01 - Jan 16, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Much as I’d love to see one of the best personalities in the NHL come to Vancouver… nah. He’d fit about as well as Keith Ballard. I love the guy, but he wouldn’t fit the mold properly and he’d end up buried in the AHL or something. I wouldn’t want that. Keep him in Anaheim or somewhere where he can employ his skills properly.

• thomaspratt - Jan 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I don’t think I quite agree. Parros can play as much as the 4th line in Vancouver is asked to play in a game. He’s got character more than many tough guys, and Gillis loves character guys. Come the playoffs, he could give 5 hard min a night with, say, Lapierre and Wiese. Or, who knows, maybe Bitz is healthy enough to play by then, and Canucks end up with Parros, Lapierre and Bitz on the fourth line. Suddenly the Canucks have a good sized line of checkers.

Not that I have any clue whether Parros to the Canucks is probable, just that I’m skeptical the team would bury him. He is a classy guy and I think the Canucks would use him properly.

• danphipps01 - Jan 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Hmmm. I don’t know, the depth chart’s getting a little crowded. Weise, admittedly, is easy to axe, and Parros is better than he is and less of an utter jackass. I guess that’s plausible. I’d like to see it in that scenario, but I still worry he’d be too easy to demote. He’s an awesome guy. I wouldn’t want that.

• elvispocomo - Jan 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Yeah, I don’t think they’d trade for him then bury him. They just wouldn’t move for him in the first place. I think NHL GMs who have just won GM of the year tend to do their homework on how the incoming player would fit before the give up assets to obtain him.

3. taytay099 - Jan 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I sincerely hope we don’t see Parros in a Canucks jersey.

4. stengy - Jan 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM

might as well get a good scrapper out there to fight those boston goons in the final.

someones gotta fight thornton right?

• imleftcoast - Jan 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM

When you put it that way, I think a Canuck fan could forgive a lot to get someone to beat the tar out of Marchand and Bolland.

5. drewzducks - Jan 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM

6’5″ 228 vs. 5’9″ 183. I guess in Vagcouver that would be considered a fair fight

• ikillchicken - Jan 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Typical Boston hypocrisy. When nobody on the Canucks will fight Thorton because they’re not even in his weight class you bitch and moan about the Canuck’s lack of toughness but the moment someone suggests that Marchmont actually fight you start whining about how unfair it is because he’s smaller.

• drewzducks - Jan 16, 2012 at 9:18 PM

You may want to check the numbers rather than bowing at the altar of that moron Tony Gallagher when it comes to guys fighting someone in their weight class. Thornton is 6’2 217 and Wuss or Wiese is 6’2 210. Thornton, McQuaid and Luc wouldn’t hide from Parros. But Marchand vs. Burrows or even Maxi-pad would be a fair matchup.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches