Jan 11, 2012, 6:58 PM EDT
Don’t worry, this isn’t another story about how Vancouver and Boston hate each other. This is something everyone can appreciate, even if it involves the Canucks – trade speculation!
Canucks GM Mike Gillis was on TEAM 1040 radio in Vancouver today and confirmed he’s looking to make some moves prior to the deadline on Feb. 27.
“We are open for business,” said Gillis. “We are talking about different players who bring more balance to our team in certain areas.”
Rumor has it the Canucks are in the market for an agitator. You know, one of those guys that can get under the skin of the opponent? A team can never have enough of those guys. They call it rat depth.
Actually, Gillis is probably looking for some size and strength on the third and fourth lines. And considering the injuries the Canucks have suffered on the back end during recent playoff runs, maybe a defenseman or seven.
And who would Vancouver be willing to give up?
Maybe Cory Schneider…but don’t count on it. The prized backup goalie won’t be any less valuable as an asset this summer, so the return would have to be massive to trade Roberto Luongo’s meltdown insurance.
Overpaid defenseman Keith Ballard could probably be had for a bag of pucks, or even just a bag, but the Canucks would have to add an NHL-caliber defenseman with puck-moving abilities to replace him. Which is easier said than done. Plus, Ballard knows the system Vancouver plays. (He’s just not very good at playing it.)
The Canucks could also look at dealing prospect Jordan Schroeder, currently with the Chicago Wolves.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)