Jan 11, 2012, 6:58 PM EDT
Don’t worry, this isn’t another story about how Vancouver and Boston hate each other. This is something everyone can appreciate, even if it involves the Canucks – trade speculation!
Canucks GM Mike Gillis was on TEAM 1040 radio in Vancouver today and confirmed he’s looking to make some moves prior to the deadline on Feb. 27.
“We are open for business,” said Gillis. “We are talking about different players who bring more balance to our team in certain areas.”
Rumor has it the Canucks are in the market for an agitator. You know, one of those guys that can get under the skin of the opponent? A team can never have enough of those guys. They call it rat depth.
Actually, Gillis is probably looking for some size and strength on the third and fourth lines. And considering the injuries the Canucks have suffered on the back end during recent playoff runs, maybe a defenseman or seven.
And who would Vancouver be willing to give up?
Maybe Cory Schneider…but don’t count on it. The prized backup goalie won’t be any less valuable as an asset this summer, so the return would have to be massive to trade Roberto Luongo’s meltdown insurance.
Overpaid defenseman Keith Ballard could probably be had for a bag of pucks, or even just a bag, but the Canucks would have to add an NHL-caliber defenseman with puck-moving abilities to replace him. Which is easier said than done. Plus, Ballard knows the system Vancouver plays. (He’s just not very good at playing it.)
The Canucks could also look at dealing prospect Jordan Schroeder, currently with the Chicago Wolves.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 2
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 64
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 34
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)