Jan 11, 2012, 6:58 PM EDT
Don’t worry, this isn’t another story about how Vancouver and Boston hate each other. This is something everyone can appreciate, even if it involves the Canucks – trade speculation!
Canucks GM Mike Gillis was on TEAM 1040 radio in Vancouver today and confirmed he’s looking to make some moves prior to the deadline on Feb. 27.
“We are open for business,” said Gillis. “We are talking about different players who bring more balance to our team in certain areas.”
Rumor has it the Canucks are in the market for an agitator. You know, one of those guys that can get under the skin of the opponent? A team can never have enough of those guys. They call it rat depth.
Actually, Gillis is probably looking for some size and strength on the third and fourth lines. And considering the injuries the Canucks have suffered on the back end during recent playoff runs, maybe a defenseman or seven.
And who would Vancouver be willing to give up?
Maybe Cory Schneider…but don’t count on it. The prized backup goalie won’t be any less valuable as an asset this summer, so the return would have to be massive to trade Roberto Luongo’s meltdown insurance.
Overpaid defenseman Keith Ballard could probably be had for a bag of pucks, or even just a bag, but the Canucks would have to add an NHL-caliber defenseman with puck-moving abilities to replace him. Which is easier said than done. Plus, Ballard knows the system Vancouver plays. (He’s just not very good at playing it.)
The Canucks could also look at dealing prospect Jordan Schroeder, currently with the Chicago Wolves.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)