Jan 11, 2012, 6:58 PM EST
Don’t worry, this isn’t another story about how Vancouver and Boston hate each other. This is something everyone can appreciate, even if it involves the Canucks – trade speculation!
Canucks GM Mike Gillis was on TEAM 1040 radio in Vancouver today and confirmed he’s looking to make some moves prior to the deadline on Feb. 27.
“We are open for business,” said Gillis. “We are talking about different players who bring more balance to our team in certain areas.”
Rumor has it the Canucks are in the market for an agitator. You know, one of those guys that can get under the skin of the opponent? A team can never have enough of those guys. They call it rat depth.
Actually, Gillis is probably looking for some size and strength on the third and fourth lines. And considering the injuries the Canucks have suffered on the back end during recent playoff runs, maybe a defenseman or seven.
And who would Vancouver be willing to give up?
Maybe Cory Schneider…but don’t count on it. The prized backup goalie won’t be any less valuable as an asset this summer, so the return would have to be massive to trade Roberto Luongo’s meltdown insurance.
Overpaid defenseman Keith Ballard could probably be had for a bag of pucks, or even just a bag, but the Canucks would have to add an NHL-caliber defenseman with puck-moving abilities to replace him. Which is easier said than done. Plus, Ballard knows the system Vancouver plays. (He’s just not very good at playing it.)
The Canucks could also look at dealing prospect Jordan Schroeder, currently with the Chicago Wolves.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 45
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 29
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)