Jan 16, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are almost always formidable at Joe Louis Arena, but in 2011-12, they’ve been historically tough. They earned their 15th consecutive home win with a 5-0 victory against the Buffalo Sabres, breaking a franchise record set in the days of Gordie Howe in 1965.
Detroit hit this historic mark the same way they began this run: beating a struggling team 5-0. They started the streak doing so with the Anaheim Ducks and continued it by chasing Ryan Miller early in the second period tonight. Oddly enough, this road defeat extends the Buffalo Sabres’ franchise record for consecutive away losses with nine.
With an 18-2-1 overall record in Detroit, the Red Wings have as much incentive as any team to secure one of the top three seeds. That won’t come easily, however, as their 11-13-0 away record explains why they’re looking up at the Chicago Blackhawks and St. Louis Blues for first place in the Central Division.
Still, when a Detroit team sends a new mark for excellence, it’s a special thing – even if most Red Wings players will probably shrug it off.
Watch highlights of Detroit’s 15th win in a row at home below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)