Jan 16, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are almost always formidable at Joe Louis Arena, but in 2011-12, they’ve been historically tough. They earned their 15th consecutive home win with a 5-0 victory against the Buffalo Sabres, breaking a franchise record set in the days of Gordie Howe in 1965.
Detroit hit this historic mark the same way they began this run: beating a struggling team 5-0. They started the streak doing so with the Anaheim Ducks and continued it by chasing Ryan Miller early in the second period tonight. Oddly enough, this road defeat extends the Buffalo Sabres’ franchise record for consecutive away losses with nine.
With an 18-2-1 overall record in Detroit, the Red Wings have as much incentive as any team to secure one of the top three seeds. That won’t come easily, however, as their 11-13-0 away record explains why they’re looking up at the Chicago Blackhawks and St. Louis Blues for first place in the Central Division.
Still, when a Detroit team sends a new mark for excellence, it’s a special thing – even if most Red Wings players will probably shrug it off.
Watch highlights of Detroit’s 15th win in a row at home below:
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 0
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 0
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 3
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 24
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 74
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 22
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness