Jan 16, 2012, 10:29 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are almost always formidable at Joe Louis Arena, but in 2011-12, they’ve been historically tough. They earned their 15th consecutive home win with a 5-0 victory against the Buffalo Sabres, breaking a franchise record set in the days of Gordie Howe in 1965.
Detroit hit this historic mark the same way they began this run: beating a struggling team 5-0. They started the streak doing so with the Anaheim Ducks and continued it by chasing Ryan Miller early in the second period tonight. Oddly enough, this road defeat extends the Buffalo Sabres’ franchise record for consecutive away losses with nine.
With an 18-2-1 overall record in Detroit, the Red Wings have as much incentive as any team to secure one of the top three seeds. That won’t come easily, however, as their 11-13-0 away record explains why they’re looking up at the Chicago Blackhawks and St. Louis Blues for first place in the Central Division.
Still, when a Detroit team sends a new mark for excellence, it’s a special thing – even if most Red Wings players will probably shrug it off.
Watch highlights of Detroit’s 15th win in a row at home below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)