Jan 16, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will look to break a 47-year-old club record tonight at home against the Buffalo Sabres.
A Wings win would be their 15th consecutive win at home, snapping the mark set in 1965 at the old Olympia Stadium by the legendary team featuring Gordie Howe, Norm Ullman, Alex Delvecchio and Roger Crozier. (Of note, Detroit would go on to the Stanley Cup Finals that year, losing to the Montreal Canadiens.)
The Wings are 17-2-1 at home this season and haven’t lost in Motown since Nov. 3. Some of the streak’s highlights:
— Began with a 5-0 win over Anaheim on Nov. 5.
— The Wings have scored five goals or more seven times, including a 7-1 romp over Winnipeg and an 8-2 destruction of Los Angeles.
— Despite only playing 20 games at home this season, the Wings are third in home goals with 78.
— Detroit’s big performer at the Joe this year? Surprisingly, it’s Valtteri Filppula. He leads the team in goals (nine) and points (24) at home and is second in assists (15). He also ranks 15th in the NHL in home points.
As for tonight, the Wings are getting a near-perfect opponent to try and break the record against. Buffalo hasn’t won on the road since Dec. 3 and is riding an eight-game road losing streak, which is also a franchise record.
UPDATE: According to the Elias Sports Bureau, if the Wings win tonight they’ll be just the fifth team in the NHL modern era (beginning 1943-44) to win 15 straight at home in a single season.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)