Jan 16, 2012, 9:25 AM EDT
The Ducks might be wishing that GM Bob Murray put everyone on notice a lot sooner than he did.
Anaheim fired Randy Carlyle and brought in Bruce Boudreau to try and change things around but it took the threat of housecleaning via trade to get the Ducks to snap out of their season-long funk. The Ducks are 5-0-1 in their last six games and have looked a lot more like the team many thought they’d be at the start of the year.
Jonas Hiller is healthy and playing strong in goal while the Ducks’ top players in Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, and Ryan Getzlaf have caught up to how well Teemu Selanne has played all year. Even Selanne’s Finnish countryman Saku Koivu is showing up more on the score sheet.
The guy that has really made the difference of late though? Jason Blake. Since returning on January 4 from injury, Blake has three goals and three assists and has given the Ducks a healthy amount of balance in their lines. Blake’s return to action gives Anaheim three balanced lines to work with, something they struggled doing for most of the season.
The problem for Anaheim is that they’re in the Western Conference and that means life is harder trying to get back into the playoff picture. As of this morning, they’re 14 points back of eighth place Minnesota and while the Wild could be in line for a fall from grace, hopping five or six other teams in the standings is hard to do in the charity point era. The Devils showed last season that keeping the dream alive all season is possible, but the Ducks will have to keep this winning trend up a lot longer to be serious playoff contenders.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)