Jan 16, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Right when it didn’t seem like things could get worse for the Wild, they do.
According to Michael Russo of The Star Tribune, Wild captain Mikko Koivu will miss at least the next month of action thanks to a left shoulder injury suffered Saturday night against St. Louis. Koivu’s injury added to the concussion problems that both Guillaume Latendresse and Pierre-Marc Bouchard are dealing with mean that the Wild are desperately hurting for scorers.
Sure they’ve still got Dany Heatley and Devin Setoguchi, but with Koivu out that makes Matt Cullen the top center on the team. No disrespect to Cullen here, but if he’s your top center you’re in trouble.
Russo reports that Wild GM Chuck Fletcher may be desperately trying to swing a deal to help buoy the team right away, but he had already been on the hunt for added scoring when Latendresse and Bouchard went down. Dealing when you’re desperate is a bad place for a GM to be in because it means potentially making a rash decision.
The Wild are in need of keeping their postseason hopes alive, but going without Koivu essentially kills those dreams.
Minnesota will need their defense and goaltending to be impenetrable while hoping they start getting more goals from their two remaining big forwards and a lot more elsewhere. Those prospects aren’t exactly glowing, especially in the ultra competitive Western Conference.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)