Jan 16, 2012, 8:22 AM EST
Right when it didn’t seem like things could get worse for the Wild, they do.
According to Michael Russo of The Star Tribune, Wild captain Mikko Koivu will miss at least the next month of action thanks to a left shoulder injury suffered Saturday night against St. Louis. Koivu’s injury added to the concussion problems that both Guillaume Latendresse and Pierre-Marc Bouchard are dealing with mean that the Wild are desperately hurting for scorers.
Sure they’ve still got Dany Heatley and Devin Setoguchi, but with Koivu out that makes Matt Cullen the top center on the team. No disrespect to Cullen here, but if he’s your top center you’re in trouble.
Russo reports that Wild GM Chuck Fletcher may be desperately trying to swing a deal to help buoy the team right away, but he had already been on the hunt for added scoring when Latendresse and Bouchard went down. Dealing when you’re desperate is a bad place for a GM to be in because it means potentially making a rash decision.
The Wild are in need of keeping their postseason hopes alive, but going without Koivu essentially kills those dreams.
Minnesota will need their defense and goaltending to be impenetrable while hoping they start getting more goals from their two remaining big forwards and a lot more elsewhere. Those prospects aren’t exactly glowing, especially in the ultra competitive Western Conference.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)