Jan 16, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Right when it didn’t seem like things could get worse for the Wild, they do.
According to Michael Russo of The Star Tribune, Wild captain Mikko Koivu will miss at least the next month of action thanks to a left shoulder injury suffered Saturday night against St. Louis. Koivu’s injury added to the concussion problems that both Guillaume Latendresse and Pierre-Marc Bouchard are dealing with mean that the Wild are desperately hurting for scorers.
Sure they’ve still got Dany Heatley and Devin Setoguchi, but with Koivu out that makes Matt Cullen the top center on the team. No disrespect to Cullen here, but if he’s your top center you’re in trouble.
Russo reports that Wild GM Chuck Fletcher may be desperately trying to swing a deal to help buoy the team right away, but he had already been on the hunt for added scoring when Latendresse and Bouchard went down. Dealing when you’re desperate is a bad place for a GM to be in because it means potentially making a rash decision.
The Wild are in need of keeping their postseason hopes alive, but going without Koivu essentially kills those dreams.
Minnesota will need their defense and goaltending to be impenetrable while hoping they start getting more goals from their two remaining big forwards and a lot more elsewhere. Those prospects aren’t exactly glowing, especially in the ultra competitive Western Conference.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)