Jan 14, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Hearing about Sean Avery being sat down as a healthy scratch before his game with the Connecticut Whale last night was probably not all that surprising. Hearing that he supposedly spat upon his head coach Ken Gernander to help make it happen, however, was stunning.
As it turns out, Avery did nothing of the sort. TSN’s Darren Dreger finds out from the New York Rangers that Avery did not spit on Gernander nor did he refuse to suit up.
Avery himself took to Twitter to say: “Try not to BELIEVE everything u read. Gentlemen don’t spit…….” At least he’s got that going for him.
Say what you will about Sean Avery, and chances are most of it is negative, but his situation with the Rangers is one where he’s worn out his welcome and now he’s looking for a way to get out of the organization. Causing a disruption one way or another is a bad way to make it happen.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported earlier this week that there were two teams interested in picking Avery up off re-entry waivers if the Rangers decided to put him on there, but with this latest incident those teams might be scared to make a move. Bad PR is as bad PR does after all.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21