Jan 14, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Hearing about Sean Avery being sat down as a healthy scratch before his game with the Connecticut Whale last night was probably not all that surprising. Hearing that he supposedly spat upon his head coach Ken Gernander to help make it happen, however, was stunning.
As it turns out, Avery did nothing of the sort. TSN’s Darren Dreger finds out from the New York Rangers that Avery did not spit on Gernander nor did he refuse to suit up.
Avery himself took to Twitter to say: “Try not to BELIEVE everything u read. Gentlemen don’t spit…….” At least he’s got that going for him.
Say what you will about Sean Avery, and chances are most of it is negative, but his situation with the Rangers is one where he’s worn out his welcome and now he’s looking for a way to get out of the organization. Causing a disruption one way or another is a bad way to make it happen.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported earlier this week that there were two teams interested in picking Avery up off re-entry waivers if the Rangers decided to put him on there, but with this latest incident those teams might be scared to make a move. Bad PR is as bad PR does after all.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 3
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 7
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination