Jan 14, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Hearing about Sean Avery being sat down as a healthy scratch before his game with the Connecticut Whale last night was probably not all that surprising. Hearing that he supposedly spat upon his head coach Ken Gernander to help make it happen, however, was stunning.
As it turns out, Avery did nothing of the sort. TSN’s Darren Dreger finds out from the New York Rangers that Avery did not spit on Gernander nor did he refuse to suit up.
Avery himself took to Twitter to say: “Try not to BELIEVE everything u read. Gentlemen don’t spit…….” At least he’s got that going for him.
Say what you will about Sean Avery, and chances are most of it is negative, but his situation with the Rangers is one where he’s worn out his welcome and now he’s looking for a way to get out of the organization. Causing a disruption one way or another is a bad way to make it happen.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported earlier this week that there were two teams interested in picking Avery up off re-entry waivers if the Rangers decided to put him on there, but with this latest incident those teams might be scared to make a move. Bad PR is as bad PR does after all.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)