Jan 14, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Hearing about Sean Avery being sat down as a healthy scratch before his game with the Connecticut Whale last night was probably not all that surprising. Hearing that he supposedly spat upon his head coach Ken Gernander to help make it happen, however, was stunning.
As it turns out, Avery did nothing of the sort. TSN’s Darren Dreger finds out from the New York Rangers that Avery did not spit on Gernander nor did he refuse to suit up.
Avery himself took to Twitter to say: “Try not to BELIEVE everything u read. Gentlemen don’t spit…….” At least he’s got that going for him.
Say what you will about Sean Avery, and chances are most of it is negative, but his situation with the Rangers is one where he’s worn out his welcome and now he’s looking for a way to get out of the organization. Causing a disruption one way or another is a bad way to make it happen.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported earlier this week that there were two teams interested in picking Avery up off re-entry waivers if the Rangers decided to put him on there, but with this latest incident those teams might be scared to make a move. Bad PR is as bad PR does after all.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)