Jan 14, 2012, 3:55 PM EST
Hearing about Sean Avery being sat down as a healthy scratch before his game with the Connecticut Whale last night was probably not all that surprising. Hearing that he supposedly spat upon his head coach Ken Gernander to help make it happen, however, was stunning.
As it turns out, Avery did nothing of the sort. TSN’s Darren Dreger finds out from the New York Rangers that Avery did not spit on Gernander nor did he refuse to suit up.
Avery himself took to Twitter to say: “Try not to BELIEVE everything u read. Gentlemen don’t spit…….” At least he’s got that going for him.
Say what you will about Sean Avery, and chances are most of it is negative, but his situation with the Rangers is one where he’s worn out his welcome and now he’s looking for a way to get out of the organization. Causing a disruption one way or another is a bad way to make it happen.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported earlier this week that there were two teams interested in picking Avery up off re-entry waivers if the Rangers decided to put him on there, but with this latest incident those teams might be scared to make a move. Bad PR is as bad PR does after all.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2