Jan 13, 2012, 10:23 PM EST
Clearly the Pittsburgh Penguins need to put together more clever displays of solidarity.
The team showed up to practice with captain C’s on their sweaters as a tongue-in-cheek nod to some strange Sidney Crosby rumors, but they really must have made their injured leader proud in the way they played tonight. The Penguins pasted the Florida Panthers 4-1 to end a disturbing six-game losing streak.
Evgeni Malkin‘s top line was a dominant force in this game, as you can see from their stats:
Malkin: one goal, +2 rating, seven shots on goal and 11 attempted shots overall.
James Neal: one goal and one assist, +2 rating, nine shots on goal and 12 attempted shots.
Chris Kunitz: two assists, +1 rating, three shots on goal and four attempted.
That’s the kind of night that reminds us all that as banged up as the Penguins might be, they still have Geno. Better yet, it looks like Neal is back to being the dangerous scoring threat he’s been for most of the season with his first goal in seven contests.
The Penguins are still on the outside of the playoff picture thanks to the Washington Capitals’ 4-3 victory against the Tampa Bay Lightning, but if nothing else, they got that monkey off their backs.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)