Jan 13, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
Clearly the Pittsburgh Penguins need to put together more clever displays of solidarity.
The team showed up to practice with captain C’s on their sweaters as a tongue-in-cheek nod to some strange Sidney Crosby rumors, but they really must have made their injured leader proud in the way they played tonight. The Penguins pasted the Florida Panthers 4-1 to end a disturbing six-game losing streak.
Evgeni Malkin‘s top line was a dominant force in this game, as you can see from their stats:
Malkin: one goal, +2 rating, seven shots on goal and 11 attempted shots overall.
James Neal: one goal and one assist, +2 rating, nine shots on goal and 12 attempted shots.
Chris Kunitz: two assists, +1 rating, three shots on goal and four attempted.
That’s the kind of night that reminds us all that as banged up as the Penguins might be, they still have Geno. Better yet, it looks like Neal is back to being the dangerous scoring threat he’s been for most of the season with his first goal in seven contests.
The Penguins are still on the outside of the playoff picture thanks to the Washington Capitals’ 4-3 victory against the Tampa Bay Lightning, but if nothing else, they got that monkey off their backs.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)