Jan 13, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
Clearly the Pittsburgh Penguins need to put together more clever displays of solidarity.
The team showed up to practice with captain C’s on their sweaters as a tongue-in-cheek nod to some strange Sidney Crosby rumors, but they really must have made their injured leader proud in the way they played tonight. The Penguins pasted the Florida Panthers 4-1 to end a disturbing six-game losing streak.
Evgeni Malkin‘s top line was a dominant force in this game, as you can see from their stats:
Malkin: one goal, +2 rating, seven shots on goal and 11 attempted shots overall.
James Neal: one goal and one assist, +2 rating, nine shots on goal and 12 attempted shots.
Chris Kunitz: two assists, +1 rating, three shots on goal and four attempted.
That’s the kind of night that reminds us all that as banged up as the Penguins might be, they still have Geno. Better yet, it looks like Neal is back to being the dangerous scoring threat he’s been for most of the season with his first goal in seven contests.
The Penguins are still on the outside of the playoff picture thanks to the Washington Capitals’ 4-3 victory against the Tampa Bay Lightning, but if nothing else, they got that monkey off their backs.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)