Jan 13, 2012, 10:23 PM EST
Clearly the Pittsburgh Penguins need to put together more clever displays of solidarity.
The team showed up to practice with captain C’s on their sweaters as a tongue-in-cheek nod to some strange Sidney Crosby rumors, but they really must have made their injured leader proud in the way they played tonight. The Penguins pasted the Florida Panthers 4-1 to end a disturbing six-game losing streak.
Evgeni Malkin‘s top line was a dominant force in this game, as you can see from their stats:
Malkin: one goal, +2 rating, seven shots on goal and 11 attempted shots overall.
James Neal: one goal and one assist, +2 rating, nine shots on goal and 12 attempted shots.
Chris Kunitz: two assists, +1 rating, three shots on goal and four attempted.
That’s the kind of night that reminds us all that as banged up as the Penguins might be, they still have Geno. Better yet, it looks like Neal is back to being the dangerous scoring threat he’s been for most of the season with his first goal in seven contests.
The Penguins are still on the outside of the playoff picture thanks to the Washington Capitals’ 4-3 victory against the Tampa Bay Lightning, but if nothing else, they got that monkey off their backs.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)