Dec 27, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
Seeing an old rivalry rekindled is a beautiful thing. Such is the case in tonight’s game on Versus between Detroit and St. Louis (7:30 p.m. ET) thanks to the Blues getting their season turned around under Ken Hitchcock.
Of course, that’s the same Hitchcock that gave the Red Wings fits when he coached in Dallas and Columbus, and after going 0-2-0 against the Blues so far this year, the Wings would like to get one over on their old nemesis.
One thing Detroit will have to do to win is figure out how to play a tight game. Their two losses to St. Louis this year were by 2-1 and 3-2 scores. That means either Jimmy Howard or Ty Conklin have to be super sharp tonight. After seeing Howard nearly pull off a shutout of the Predators last night, Conklin could get the call.
St. Louis will look to make life miserable by likely giving Brian Elliott the start. Jaroslav Halak got the win in last night’s 5-3 win over Dallas on Versus and getting that kind of offensive output has been rare. The Blues power play could stand to be sharp yet again to keep the Wings at bay.
Henrik Zetterberg had a bit of a breakout game last night earning an assist on one of Valtteri Filppula‘s goals and looking like a play making threat all night. One guy you won’t see tonight is Detroit’s Tomas Holmstrom who left last night’s game with an apparent groin injury. He hasn’t been the guy we’re accustomed to seeing, however, since being moved to the Red Wings’ fourth line.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)