Dec 27, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
Seeing an old rivalry rekindled is a beautiful thing. Such is the case in tonight’s game on Versus between Detroit and St. Louis (7:30 p.m. ET) thanks to the Blues getting their season turned around under Ken Hitchcock.
Of course, that’s the same Hitchcock that gave the Red Wings fits when he coached in Dallas and Columbus, and after going 0-2-0 against the Blues so far this year, the Wings would like to get one over on their old nemesis.
One thing Detroit will have to do to win is figure out how to play a tight game. Their two losses to St. Louis this year were by 2-1 and 3-2 scores. That means either Jimmy Howard or Ty Conklin have to be super sharp tonight. After seeing Howard nearly pull off a shutout of the Predators last night, Conklin could get the call.
St. Louis will look to make life miserable by likely giving Brian Elliott the start. Jaroslav Halak got the win in last night’s 5-3 win over Dallas on Versus and getting that kind of offensive output has been rare. The Blues power play could stand to be sharp yet again to keep the Wings at bay.
Henrik Zetterberg had a bit of a breakout game last night earning an assist on one of Valtteri Filppula‘s goals and looking like a play making threat all night. One guy you won’t see tonight is Detroit’s Tomas Holmstrom who left last night’s game with an apparent groin injury. He hasn’t been the guy we’re accustomed to seeing, however, since being moved to the Red Wings’ fourth line.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 28
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)