Dec 27, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
Seeing an old rivalry rekindled is a beautiful thing. Such is the case in tonight’s game on Versus between Detroit and St. Louis (7:30 p.m. ET) thanks to the Blues getting their season turned around under Ken Hitchcock.
Of course, that’s the same Hitchcock that gave the Red Wings fits when he coached in Dallas and Columbus, and after going 0-2-0 against the Blues so far this year, the Wings would like to get one over on their old nemesis.
One thing Detroit will have to do to win is figure out how to play a tight game. Their two losses to St. Louis this year were by 2-1 and 3-2 scores. That means either Jimmy Howard or Ty Conklin have to be super sharp tonight. After seeing Howard nearly pull off a shutout of the Predators last night, Conklin could get the call.
St. Louis will look to make life miserable by likely giving Brian Elliott the start. Jaroslav Halak got the win in last night’s 5-3 win over Dallas on Versus and getting that kind of offensive output has been rare. The Blues power play could stand to be sharp yet again to keep the Wings at bay.
Henrik Zetterberg had a bit of a breakout game last night earning an assist on one of Valtteri Filppula‘s goals and looking like a play making threat all night. One guy you won’t see tonight is Detroit’s Tomas Holmstrom who left last night’s game with an apparent groin injury. He hasn’t been the guy we’re accustomed to seeing, however, since being moved to the Red Wings’ fourth line.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)