Dec 27, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
Seeing an old rivalry rekindled is a beautiful thing. Such is the case in tonight’s game on Versus between Detroit and St. Louis (7:30 p.m. ET) thanks to the Blues getting their season turned around under Ken Hitchcock.
Of course, that’s the same Hitchcock that gave the Red Wings fits when he coached in Dallas and Columbus, and after going 0-2-0 against the Blues so far this year, the Wings would like to get one over on their old nemesis.
One thing Detroit will have to do to win is figure out how to play a tight game. Their two losses to St. Louis this year were by 2-1 and 3-2 scores. That means either Jimmy Howard or Ty Conklin have to be super sharp tonight. After seeing Howard nearly pull off a shutout of the Predators last night, Conklin could get the call.
St. Louis will look to make life miserable by likely giving Brian Elliott the start. Jaroslav Halak got the win in last night’s 5-3 win over Dallas on Versus and getting that kind of offensive output has been rare. The Blues power play could stand to be sharp yet again to keep the Wings at bay.
Henrik Zetterberg had a bit of a breakout game last night earning an assist on one of Valtteri Filppula‘s goals and looking like a play making threat all night. One guy you won’t see tonight is Detroit’s Tomas Holmstrom who left last night’s game with an apparent groin injury. He hasn’t been the guy we’re accustomed to seeing, however, since being moved to the Red Wings’ fourth line.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)