Dec 22, 2011, 12:02 PM EDT
The Senators move to trade for Kyle Turris is looking a whole lot smarter now.
Sens center Peter Regin, who has battled shoulder problems for the last two seasons, is out yet again with an injury to the same shoulder that kept him out of action for most of this season. While Regin didn’t get the shoulder operated on when he hurt it last time in October, but he may have to go that route again to repair the damage done.
Ottawa’s trade for Turris now looks a lot better because they can have him slide in on the second line while guys like Zack Smith and Zenon Konopka can take control of the bottom two lines. Regin is due to be a restricted free agent this summer and getting his shoulder operated on would almost certainly end his season.
Turris did well in his first game, but doing well in the long run was always his issue in Phoenix. That is, it was his problem when it didn’t involve getting doomed to the press box by the coach and holding out all summer for a new contract. Hey, new challenges are fun, right? Turris would do well to seize the opportunity.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)