Dec 17, 2011, 2:36 PM EST
Kyle Turris finally gets his wish.
After asking for a trade two months ago, Turris is headed to Ottawa in a deal that sees the Senators send young defenseman David Rundblad and a second round pick back to Phoenix for the potential star.
Turris’ rough contract negotiations with the Coyotes this summer and through training camp and regular season sealed up that he wouldn’t be very welcome in Phoenix. Demanding a trade didn’t help that perspective either and his play once he did sign apparently didn’t impress coach Dave Tippett too much as he was a healthy scratch in the last two games. Now he goes to Ottawa where he’ll have a chance to become the Senators’ No. 2 centerman and thrive with more ice time.
Ottawa giving up on young David Rundblad looks to be a gutsy move on their own as his upside is huge despite his struggles at times this season. Truth is, the evolution of Erik Karlsson‘s game made Rundblad expendable. Karlsson has developed into one of the best puck movers and offensive defenseman in the league this season and GM Bryan Murray must feel that he’s all the weapon they need on the blue line.
Rundblad has had struggles defensively this season, but at 21 years-old he’s got a lot of time to develop. It’s a good job by Coyotes GM Don Maloney to get as good a package from Ottawa as he did. If Turris doesn’t become the star that he thinks he can be, this deal could go down in history looking very bad for Ottawa.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 5
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 45
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 38
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (45)