Dec 20, 2011, 10:56 AM EDT
We’ve seen how carefully the Penguins handled Sidney Crosby and the Blues with David Perron. We’ve also seen how Marc Staal tried his best to play through his own concussion and wind up putting his season (and health) in jeopardy by doing so.
When you see Flyers GM Paul Holmgren say what he did to Ryan Bright of Philly Sports Daily, you wonder if Giroux might need to be more careful:
“Since the initial incident against Tampa, he has felt good at times, but there’s other times, in his words, ‘I just don’t feel right,’” said general manager Paul Holmgren on Friday. “So until he feels right for a whole day and we get to the next day and he feels good another day, it is what it is. He’s not gonna be back in there.”
It’s good that they won’t just throw him to the wolves in game action, but as we learned through others, sometimes the stress of pushing your body when skating and exerting that energy can be enough to re-aggravate concussion symptoms.
We’re not questioning the Flyers training staff here, they’re handling things well first-hand, as Sam Carchidi shares, and doing things how they see fit ‒ we’re worried that a player’s desire to get back to action might put their health and ability to have a longer career in harm’s way.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 15
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 57
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (57)