Dec 20, 2011, 10:56 AM EST
We’ve seen how carefully the Penguins handled Sidney Crosby and the Blues with David Perron. We’ve also seen how Marc Staal tried his best to play through his own concussion and wind up putting his season (and health) in jeopardy by doing so.
When you see Flyers GM Paul Holmgren say what he did to Ryan Bright of Philly Sports Daily, you wonder if Giroux might need to be more careful:
“Since the initial incident against Tampa, he has felt good at times, but there’s other times, in his words, ‘I just don’t feel right,’” said general manager Paul Holmgren on Friday. “So until he feels right for a whole day and we get to the next day and he feels good another day, it is what it is. He’s not gonna be back in there.”
It’s good that they won’t just throw him to the wolves in game action, but as we learned through others, sometimes the stress of pushing your body when skating and exerting that energy can be enough to re-aggravate concussion symptoms.
We’re not questioning the Flyers training staff here, they’re handling things well first-hand, as Sam Carchidi shares, and doing things how they see fit ‒ we’re worried that a player’s desire to get back to action might put their health and ability to have a longer career in harm’s way.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)