Dec 20, 2011, 10:56 AM EDT
We’ve seen how carefully the Penguins handled Sidney Crosby and the Blues with David Perron. We’ve also seen how Marc Staal tried his best to play through his own concussion and wind up putting his season (and health) in jeopardy by doing so.
When you see Flyers GM Paul Holmgren say what he did to Ryan Bright of Philly Sports Daily, you wonder if Giroux might need to be more careful:
“Since the initial incident against Tampa, he has felt good at times, but there’s other times, in his words, ‘I just don’t feel right,’” said general manager Paul Holmgren on Friday. “So until he feels right for a whole day and we get to the next day and he feels good another day, it is what it is. He’s not gonna be back in there.”
It’s good that they won’t just throw him to the wolves in game action, but as we learned through others, sometimes the stress of pushing your body when skating and exerting that energy can be enough to re-aggravate concussion symptoms.
We’re not questioning the Flyers training staff here, they’re handling things well first-hand, as Sam Carchidi shares, and doing things how they see fit ‒ we’re worried that a player’s desire to get back to action might put their health and ability to have a longer career in harm’s way.
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 8
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 43
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)