Dec 20, 2011, 10:56 AM EDT
We’ve seen how carefully the Penguins handled Sidney Crosby and the Blues with David Perron. We’ve also seen how Marc Staal tried his best to play through his own concussion and wind up putting his season (and health) in jeopardy by doing so.
When you see Flyers GM Paul Holmgren say what he did to Ryan Bright of Philly Sports Daily, you wonder if Giroux might need to be more careful:
“Since the initial incident against Tampa, he has felt good at times, but there’s other times, in his words, ‘I just don’t feel right,’” said general manager Paul Holmgren on Friday. “So until he feels right for a whole day and we get to the next day and he feels good another day, it is what it is. He’s not gonna be back in there.”
It’s good that they won’t just throw him to the wolves in game action, but as we learned through others, sometimes the stress of pushing your body when skating and exerting that energy can be enough to re-aggravate concussion symptoms.
We’re not questioning the Flyers training staff here, they’re handling things well first-hand, as Sam Carchidi shares, and doing things how they see fit ‒ we’re worried that a player’s desire to get back to action might put their health and ability to have a longer career in harm’s way.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)