Dec 19, 2011, 9:55 PM EST
Once the Philadelphia Flyers admitted that Claude Giroux‘s unlucky accident with Wayne Simmonds resulted in a concussion, there were serious concerns that he’d be out for a long time. If you believe his most optimistic claims, Giroux might come back soon enough to maintain his spot* atop the NHL’s points scoring list.
That being said, Flyers fans are likely relieved that he told CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio that he won’t try to come back too soon, either.
“I go day-by-day … If it’s the Rangers or even Christmas, I don’t see why to push it. It’s December,” Giroux said. “I’m aware of what could happen if I come back too fast. My reaction could be slower. The coaching staff and [trainer] Jim [McCrossin] are making sure I don’t rush into it.”
The Flyers have an unfortunate recent history of bright futures cut short by hasty returns from concussion issues, most famously in the case of Eric Lindros. Fans of the game want to see Giroux back as soon as possible, but Philly would be wise to take the long view with their 23-year-old star.
* – Giroux is tied with Phil Kessel for the league lead with 39 points despite playing in five fewer games.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)